Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4th Season Success!!!!

SEIowaDeerslayer

Its been a rough 4th season, but everything that has happened to me up until today went on the back burner and the total opposite happened.

I had a couple bags of seed for plots to pick up today at Welter Seed in Oslow, which is 20 minutes from my fiance's family farm, so I decided to hit the woods this morning before the I went to pick up the seed. I'm glad I did.

I got to the woods at about 5:30, and it was still pretty dark due to the cloud cover, and a couple of birds were gobbling on this large flat ridge on the south side of their property. I hiked it into the timber a ways and stopped and listened. The birds gobbled again so I started making my way up a steep incline that heads to this ridge. About halfway up the incline the sounded off again, and they were extremely close, much closer than what I thought they were when I last heard them. So, I decided to get dirty and belly crawl all the way to the top. When I got there, I found 2 downed trees that would work as a perfect blind, so I crawled in between those trees, layed my gun across one of them, and sat. About a minute after this, the two birds sounded off again, and then 4 more birds erupted in a tree about 25 yards behind me. I couldn't believe I didn't spook them while crawling up the ridge. By this time it was 5:45, sunrise...but it was still pretty dark due to the cloud cover. I popped in a mouth call and let out a few soft yelps, and that's all it took. The birds behind me pitched down, as well as the birds in front. At 5:50am 3 strutters made their way into my calls, and at 15 yards I dumped the lead one. By far the fastest hunt I've ever been on, and I was due for a fast hunt since I've been putting in all day hunts the last couple of weeks. Anyways, this is my heaviest bird to date, and this bird coupled with my highest scoring bird to date that I was able to take during 2nd season just caps everything off perfectly and I can't be any more happy. Time to put away the camo, get the food plots in and do some fishing! Hope you enjoy the pics!

25.5 lbs
1 1/4" left spur, 1" right spur
10" beard

Brock

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

Helluva bird! Goes to show that a season can change from bad to good in a matter of minutes. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Nice bird, congrats. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<<

Top Bottom