Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4x4 Rubbing Post

thephatchef

PMA Member
Just wondering if I can go to the lumber yard and just buy a 4x4 wood post to use as a rubbing post. If so, what do I need to do in order to get it ready for a buck to shred it? Any scents I need to put on it? Any other recommendations for a cheaper long term rubbing post?

I would suggest staying away from treated wood due to the chemicals. Saw some rub slime at the store but haven't ever tried it. Never tried mock rubs actually, just mock scrapes.

Been reading 6x6's mock rub thread and it sounds like a great idea. Just wondering if they will use a post without any branches above or bark on it. I've never seen a fence post rubbed, so just wondering. Not trying to shoot the idea down, just throwing out some things to think about.

Ah hem...I stand corrected on the non-use of fence posts for rubs...a quick internet search has provided some images to the contrary. Such as (copied from the internet, not taking any credit for this):
00small66156103.JPG

Or:
00small13209223.JPG

However, wondering if branches on top would increase the chance of activity as they would serve as licking branches, in case they didn't take to rubbing.

X2 on the cedar. Shouldn't be that hard to score a cedar tree to cut down & transplant. Darn things are everywhere. Deer have been known to rub about anything with an odor including posts, especially cedar posts. I suspect that once a deer starts rubbing they perpetuate the odor thing. They have also been known to rub phone poles and they are treated. Not sure I would be concerned with "chemicals" as they are rubbing the post not smoking it ;), though the green treated stuff may not have the right odor to get them started.

I've got a power pole by my yard that they rub on a bit every year. Takes a good one to get his horns around that though. See lots of fence posts rubbed, even with barbed wire on them.

Yeah, don't think you would want to smoke treated wood! But yeah, I was thinking the odor of the chemicals may turn them away. Maybe not.

Top Bottom