Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

512 memory stick capacity

dbltree

Super Moderator
This past winter Timberpig and I kinda shopped around on Ebay and various sources for "cheap" 512 memory sticks.

I managed to buy some down as low as a few bucks a piece figuring that some might be junk.

I wanted to have 2 for each camera so I could just swap them in the field so I ended up with every brand possible I think.
grin.gif

I always thought the capacity was around 4-500 pics but the other day I checked a cam with a Sandisk 512 in it and a poisen ivy leaf had grown up in front of it.

I assume the sunshine and waving leaf kept setting it off but I was amazed to find it had 1600 pics on it!
bigshock.gif

The camera had taken several sets of 4-500 pics previously and after all that the batteries were dead but I think I have it set on fine and "email" size pics.

Does anyone know...is that normal? Just curious...perhaps that stick is just a "fluke"??

What's the most pics any of you have found on your memory sticks?

Picture quality has everything to do with how many pics you can take on a stick. I normally set my cams to highest quality. On one of my s600's, I just checked & can take 162 pics on 6.0, but if I switch it down to VGA I can get 2994 on one stick & 2988 on another stick.

I personally set all my cams on the highest quality because I like to crop the pics. I don't loose the detail on 6.0 setting.When I'm running cams, I check them weekly.

touchdifferent does it as I do. Highest quality available for every picture. You can alway down size at home for the internet.

[ QUOTE ]
but if I switch it down to VGA I can get 2994 on one stick & 2988 on another stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

heck mine wasn't even close to full then!
grin.gif

Normal trail usage one sure wouldn't need that kind of of capacity and better quality...especially in the fall would be better for sure!
waytogo.gif

I do what those boys do, max the pic quality at the highest resolution, either 4.1 or 6mp depending on the cam. If you drop from Fine to Normal setting you will still about double the capacity of the stick (to around 450-500) w/o losing much detail that I can tell.
If you want to email them you can just resize them to 640x480 (VGA). There is a free download that will do that to an entire file of pics with one click, and it still saves the originals. If I can find it I'll give you the link.
Seems a shame to take those nice Sony cams and run them at VGA quality, since better pic quality is one of the pluses of a homebrew.

Here ya go. Microsoft power toys
Scroll down to "Image Resizer", the download is just to the right of it. (I believe this is just for Windows XP, but if your running something else they have downloads for that too on a different page.)

Top Bottom