Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.62 Smoothie takes another

Shovelbuck

This makes number three for the year and the second for this flintlock .62 smooth bore.
This will be a hunt that will be remembered.
It was cold and windy this morning, around 12 degrees, and as I lay in bed I almost said the heck with it and didn't go. But I had everything ready last night and I could smell the coffee that my wife was brewing for me. I had a plan to hunt from a row of hay bales that over looks a pasture and slew, bordering a cornfield that is about half harvested. I made the drive, taking my time as I didn't want to be out in the wind and cold any longer than need be. When I headed over to the bales it was about ten minutes from legal shooting time. The bale set up didn't turn out as well as planned as they were too far from where I needed to be. That's what I get for the 50 mph scouting of the area. So, I headed further east and selected a scrubby cedar tree and backed myself and chair into it. It was shooting time and I opened the frizzen and primed the pan. I laid the gun over the cedar bows and commented to myself about what a great little set up I had. The cedar was doing a great job of blocking the wind and I felt it had me concealed well. I was watching to my left towards the slew and corn field where I expected the deer to be coming from.
I hadn't been there ten minutes when I happened to look in front of me. Dang! where did they come from? Two does are headed right at me about fifteen yards away. Some how, I managed to get the gun shouldered and cocked without them noticing. At ten yards it was almost self defense as the fire from the priming powder obscured my vision for a second or so. When my eyes readjusted from the bright flash, the mature doe was down. She never knew what happened.

DCP_0157-Copy.jpg

With three in the freezer currently, I can relax a bit. I have two more tags, one either sex and a doe only.

Last edited:
You never cease to amaze me, nothing like turning back the clock. You should have been born back in 1780. :D

Great harvest Jay, Congrats my friend! :way:

Nice job Jay, does that buckskinner outfit come in hunter orange? I was in the sandhills for the Muzzy opener last week, shot a nice mature 3x3 muley. I'm a little embarassed to say I did it with an inline after reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

does that buckskinner outfit come in hunter orange?

No it doesn't. But I do want to make it clear that I do wear the required orange but remove it for photos.

No need to be embarassed, inlines have there place in this great sport. I just don't own any.

I had no doubt you follow the law Jay just trying to bring a little humor to the boards. I make people take their orange off for pictures too, looks a lot better in my opinion.
Hopefully I can get some advise from you next year on a good starter traditional rifle as it looks like a blast and quite the challenge. Where we hunted in Nebraska a traditional would have worked very well, my buck was a 60yd shot.

My thought is that anything having a .62 cal projectile coming very close to it would expire from the shock wave around it. :D

Another job well done, and you look good doing it.

Top Bottom