Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

870 warped

Handcannon

I've been hunting in the rain 2 days solid. Didn't seem to bother my 2 yearold 870 at all. After each trip it gets a complete teardown & cleaning. Still looks brandnew. But when I went to load it in the woods this morning it just stuck about 1/2 way pumped. I thought I had reassembled something wrong & removed the barrel. It pumped great then. Looked at my forearm & it was swollen, rubbing on the barrel. I managed to get it loaded & used it as single shot today. I've got the forearm in a padded vice tonight, it's back in shape now. Have to wait for it to dry completely, see if it cracks I guess. If it does, I'll be looking at the synthetic pistol grip full stock (like the SBE Benelli) & synthetic forearm. Never had this happen before.
frown.gif

If things go back into shape, you may want to take the forearm off and give the inside
a coat of polyurethane to seal it and prevent any future moisture problems.

If not, synthetic replacement stocks and forearms are the way to go.
grin.gif

I've never seen this problem before with an 870...

I did that to mine Ghost. Also did the end grain of the butt stock. It keeps oil from seeping into the wood grain when cleaning the gun also.

I think I will have to seal it when it does dry out. I refinished the gun brandnew right out the box because I didn't like the color. I've never hunted in the rain like I did last weekend, never thought I would.

Top Bottom