Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

9 1/2 pointer

bugs11

Got in the stand at 6:14 this morning and immediately heard something in the timber to the east of me. Looking through the binocs I made out a doe about 40-50 yards out. The slight wind out the south and the fact that I approached my stand from the west allowed me to get in the tree undetected. I just relaxed and waited for sunrise. She slowly fed in my direction and that's when I noticed a buck trailing her by about 15-20 yards. He just hung back, watching her every move. Then I noticed another doe to the south headed my way, she had what looked like decent 8-pointer on her tail. She kept moving though and headed west into a picked bean field, with the 8-pointer chasing her. The buck and doe to my east just froze and watched the spectacle. I put the binocs on the buck trailing the doe feeding my way and he's a big bodied 10-pointer with a broken tine, a mature buck.

The doe fed past me and then here came the buck. At three yards I arrowed the buck. He bolted about 40 yards stopped for 20-30 seconds, stumbled and crashed down. I looked for my arrow but couldn't find it. After looking everywhere, I found the 90% of the arrow, tip down in a patch of weeds, the vanes and nock were broken off. When gutting the buck I found the vanes and nock end wedged in the sternum, the exit wound. The arrow had traveled though the heart top to bottom.

Grilled the tenderloins for dinner. They were excellent.

Top Bottom