Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A bit of a rant I suppose...

Daver

PMA Member
I have been an active member of this site for approximately 15 years now and apart from a couple of jerks back in the day that were either subsequently banned or moved on, it seems to me that the level of straight up rudeness in replying to others has gotten worse in the last 3-6 months. It doesn't happen often, as there are dozens of adults making hundreds of posts here per week that are civil to one another...but it does happen enough nowadays that I feel like addressing it.

Simple message...grow up...and if your parents didn't teach you any manners, then kindly try to follow along with the almost everyone else here and be civil and polite when replying to others. (Note - this is not to say that I think everyone has to agree with everyone else about everything, etc, only that you can express alternate viewpoints and/or disagreement with others without resorting to slams, name calling, etc.)

While I do not consider myself the "board policeman" or anything...I am also not going to sit in silence while immature jerks "do their thing" and then assume apparently that others agree with them since no one says anything, etc. Again, as far as I am concerned, feel free to disagree with others, even argue about something for all I care, etc, but when you just straight up slam someone and/or resort to juvenile name calling...I plan on replying too.

Good hunting everyone and thanks to all for posting their stories and pictures too!

I have alot of respect for you on this site, Daver, based on your posts. And this is no different. Thank you!

Good call Daver!

I have been a member on here for almost 4 years and it's crazy the decline in people sharing photos of trail pics and harvests. It seems that there are always people that have an opinion on something rather that just saying "nice buck".

It's unfortunate that some people have to get off that way. Part of the reason I joined and follow this site (even though I have nothing to do with Iowa) was the unbelievable wealth of knowledge this site has to offer, as well as the awesome pictures and stories.

I love it when people share. I don't consider it bragging or whatever. I am just a fan of looking at big deer...as I believe many others feel the same way.

I am a "Lurker" on IW and seldom post. I look at it several times a day as well as MissouriWhitetails.com MWT has several more posts and activity each day, but the bashing and rude things that are said on there has gotten much worse. For a couple of years now, I could always count on IW for a more positive and informative forum. This fall has certainly disappointed. I too am seeing much more rude things said when they are not warranted (in my opinion).

Just because you think it, doesn't mean you have to post it!

Unfortunately, I think this is the world we live in now. To easy to type in anonymity and say things that you wouldn't say to someone's face. I also always try and remember when I read someone's post that they quite possibly read different than they are meant. With that thought in mind, I keep my comments to myself figuring that I very well could have misunderstood the original intent of someone's post.

I sure hope that I misunderstood some of the posts that I have read over the last couple of days because I have not been impressed.

Last edited:
That's why it pays to be a PMA member. A lot less to deal with. I haven't noticed it as much there anyway. I know a handful of people quit posting on here from the flack they used to get. Its too bad when a lot of people have to act like keyboard warriors.

Thanks for the post Daver....well said! There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and I sure do miss Doubletree's posts. But besides what can be learned, it is always fun to share the passion of the hunt with fellow outdoorsmen. I love to read the stories of successful hunts this time of year and thank everyone who takes the time to share their stories.
To those who feel the need to bash someone on a post....please think before you type.

I'm 22 years old and have been a member on this site since I was 13. The people and information on this site has definitely declined in recent years. Many of the guys who frequented the site often were a wealth of knowledge and I would guess this is one of the main reasons why they no longer visit the site.

The negativity, internet police, 'I’m better', and 'I know more' mentality gets really old. Thank you for saying something Daver!

Well said Daver. I joined when I was a "know it all" teenager and I learned more than ever imagined from members on this site. I check it all the time and miss the information/stories/pictures that used to get shared. I will keep posting and keep learning.

I've got several reasons for hardly posting on this board... here's a few

First off, being a non-resident....'nuff said?

Secondly, being non-resident slug gun party hunter that makes deer drives with his buddies who live and farm in Iowa... 'nuff said?...

I firmly believe the atmosphere of every forum is created by what is allowed by the Moderators and Admin...No they shouldn't have to jump in on every occurrence. But allowing some members to continually bash others with no repercussions....well here we are.

Either the forums have a MMA get together, where we show up with our forum nametag on, and we can go a few rounds... or you can start showing guys the door....

It's getting worse every year.... and doing nothing is not helping matters.

The site seemed a lot better when o first joined. There were a lot more members that had been on here a long time, a lot more pics, sheds, harvests shared, and seemed a lot more helpful and constructive topics.

I do like the fact that this site seems to be more about hunting larger deer and about pursing more mature deer.

I miss reading a lot of the "old timer" posters posts from when I first joined.

It seems like a trend on every forum, not just this one. I've seen it on forums that are not outdoors based also. I blame a lot of it on an over all change in attitude on what is appropriate online behavior. Being rude or a troll is "cool" on a lot of social media. Social media has done away with a lot of face to face conversations, and people are forgetting how to be respectful.

It seems like a trend on every forum, not just this one. I've seen it on forums that are not outdoors based also. I blame a lot of it on an over all change in attitude on what is appropriate online behavior. Being rude or a troll is "cool" on a lot of social media. Social media has done away with a lot of face to face conversations, and people are forgetting how to be respectful.

You know, funny thing, I just wrote almost exactly the same sentiments ^^ to someone else via PM message. I totally agree with you. In particular, it is my opinion that younger people today have grown up interacting via electronic devices to such an extent that they truly do not know that repeated, "In your face..." type insults and snide comments used to get you a punch in the nose.

At any rate, I know there are still many, many good guys here on this site and I trust that we will interact with each other in a positive, mature manner so this site does NOT go down the unfortunate path that so many others have. I appreciate the supportive comments on this thread and look forward to many constructive posts in the future from all involved. Thank you!

In particular, it is my opinion that younger people today have grown up interacting via electronic devices to such an extent that they truly do not know that repeated, "In your face..." type insults and snide comments used to get you a punch in the nose.

As I've followed this thread, I find myself thinking it doesn't seem as bad as a lot of you say it is. I've only been a member on here for about 5 years, so maybe it's more of a matter of me having missed the good ol days. Then as I continue to think, it occurred to me, maybe I'm the problem...:) This is the point where everyone sighs and says "Finally, he figured it out". Haha, gosh I hope not.

But in all seriousness, this site, regardless of the occasional riff raff, is leaps and bounds ahead of other similar sites with regards to content (educational and cleanliness). I was fairly active on IS for awhile, but I can hardly stand being on there anymore. Almost every thread on that site goes south, it's crazy.

I've got several reasons for hardly posting on this board... here's a few

First off, being a non-resident....'nuff said?

Secondly, being non-resident slug gun party hunter that makes deer drives with his buddies who live and farm in Iowa... 'nuff said?...

What you talkin' 'bout? :D Just kidding, that one does get old.

I do like the fact that this site seems to be more about hunting larger deer and about pursing more mature deer.

I would say that this site has influenced some of my decisions regarding which deer to pursue and which ones to pass. That, and I've become a lot more picky since I started bowhunting.

I hope that none of my comments have been taken as rude or bashing. If they have, they were meant jokingly. I do try to get the smiley in there just in case (as above), but could sometimes forget. There is a lot of knowledge on this site, and that's why I come to it. I am registered on a few others, but I rarely look at them unless I'm looking for information on something specific. It's really hard enough to keep up with this site, let alone some others! Anyway, to most of the IW'ers out there, keep up the good work!

Top Bottom