Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Buck of a Lifetime!

scout

I went out Friday in the early afternoon to a stand along an old fence line overlooking a pasture that has been void of cattle for 2-3 years. It was 68 degrees when I went in and I later wished I'd taken more than a hooded jacket. My brother-in-law killed a 165 buck near the stand a few years back and I could only get drawn on a 140s buck from it last season. I had not seen much sign in the area or anywhere this year and was lacking a little faith!
Around 4:15 or so I noticed a small buck 100 yrds out in the stickers that were overtaking the pasture. I rattled for the heck of it, to see if he would react, but he disappeared. Soon after I noticed a doe move into the open and caught a glimse of a rack in the thick stuff. She was slowly on her way to my set up.
I first seen the buck at 130-150 yards head on and casually reached for the binos to take a closer look. I about pooped and traded the binos for the bow, only knowing it was bigger than my best and over a 150.
A bunch of turkey had been passing through the woods behind me and I lost track of them. They caught me moving and started putting and running back and forth like the idiots they are. The doe did'nt think much of that and started hanging up. The big dude was clearly keying off her so I was'nt about to rattle or grunt, afraid she would skirt me. The birds moved off and things settled, including the sun! I was quickly loosing daylight. They just stood there as the wind drove a chill into me. I was shivering bad. After 30 minutes of this the buck beds down behind a big pokey bush. My heart sank, but I was glad she was still up. I just waited as the light began to fade. Soon she bedded next to him! Now I was in a fix! I was'nt about to sit there and watch this scene fade to black! Knowing I had to draw him in quickly I gave a couple of low tone short grunts. I had his attention and a third soft grunt put him on his feet. He grunted twice as he closed the distance. At 25-30 yards I directed another very low volume grunt behind he to put him back on course. I was certain he would either see my legs shaking or hear my bones rattling at any second. The closer he got the more I felt like I would actually vibrate off the stand! Must have been the cold! He walked straight toward my "blocker bush/tree" and I got drawn. He stood still behind it head on at 15yrds. I needed him to move soon. He started comming around to my right. He walked to the side of the trail only 12 yrds away, but tight along the bushes blocking an easy shot. I found an opening. My pin moved from the top of his back to his brisket and I wondered if I was even lookin through my peep! I quick mental check of my form and with the little concentration as I could muster I sent the Spitfire on its way. Slightly quartering toward me at 12 wards the 500 gr. arrow hit the shoulder blade! The buck went down on the spot like the carpet was pulled out from under him. He thrashed around trying to get his feet under him as I knocked another arrow.
This one zipped through both lungs and he was motionless in under a minute. I later learned the first shot slammed through the shoulder blade causing it to level out, perhaps rise and pound into the spine. I've taken a few bucks with Spitfires but still feel a fixed blade would serve me better at the short ranges I actually shoot the deer. I found my effective range on a booner is half what thought I could make! Now I think I can switch to a traditional bow and not fret about one of these passing just out of range. Then again, this could be the beginning of a streak of luck.
As a side note, while the two deer were standing/ bedded at 40-45 yards they were directly down wind! I had taken a shower before I hunted and sprayed down with eliminator and maked sure I did'nt breath through my mouth. That's hard to do when your jaw drops to your chest!

Green score 182 3/8 (net 173 5/8) His neck measured 34" at the mid point! I would guess him @ well over 250 lbs field dressed.

I'm not one to blow my own horn but,
TOOT TOOT!!!!
rockband.gif
beerchug.gif
smokin.gif

Scout02.jpg

nov10_03.jpg

contratulations, i was born and raised in jackson county but have never seen one that big. good job.

great buck........I've been huntin jackson co. for for years and never seen anything like that .....did you get him in the afternoon when he was out trollin for does?.....masive neck, what did he weigh? good job man.....j.b.
beerchug.gif

GREAT BUCK!!
shocked.gif
That is one of the most awsome 10 pointer's I have ever seen.Please tell us the whole story on this deer,did you know he was in your hunting area or did he just show up like they so often do during the rut.
CONGRAT'S SCOUT!!!

What a great deer! Congrats! Received some of my rookie training from Trp. Larry Rolena(retired) and still going strong Trp. Al Perkins from up that way. Was stationed in Wheatland in Clinton County in the early 80's. Always thought the Jackson County area was a great deer haven.

What a BRUTE!!!!!! Congratulations!!!! I will bet that old boy got the heart a pounding......
shocked.gif

I got to see the rack off Scouts buck this morning and I can tell you it is impressive! When the wife told me that he had scored big last night I had a feeling I knew where it had gone down and was right on the money, just a few hundred yards where I was debating all season about hunting. (read the grass is always greener) Oh well I sure am glad a buddy of mine got him and it was well deserved I might add. It is a good story I think he should share. Congrats again Scout! Your up.
grin.gif

G6

Congrats to longtime Iowa Whitetail member "Scout" and his awesome Iowa buck!

Cheers!

beerchug.gif

TLH

Like the others said, NICE BUCK!
Was that the first time you've ever seen it??? I still can't get over how many monsters people have been shooting this year. You just can't beat Iowa Whitetails!

Congrats again,

BT

Top Bottom