Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A chance to meet a great American

CamoMan

Taylor and I had an opportunity to be a part of something really neat tonight. We went to a friend's gathering that included a darn good meal, followed by a great speaker, a WWII veteran nicknamed 'Taz'. He was a tank commander in Patton's 735th tank batallion, and was a part of the Normandy invasion, and numerous other events, include the Battle of Bastogne, and the liberation of a Jewish concentration camp. Taz went through 5 tanks during this time - 3 were taken out by mines, and two by direct hits. He was shot in the face by a sniper, and was even shot in the other end when he was cleaning the viewing window on the tank.

I have always been intrigued by this war, and those who fought in it. These great Americans are now in their upper 80's, and are dying at a rate of about 1000 per day. Someday, their voices will be gone, and I wanted to hear a first-hand account of what they saw, experienced and felt during this time. Taz told some great stories, including one of Patton, who jumped on his tank, and asked what he was doing. Taz didn't turn around, and blurted out 'It's none of your %*#@ business'. Then he realized it was Patton, and the general simply said 'Son, keep up the great work'.

It was an honor to shake the hand of a war hero, and thank him for his part in keeping me and my family free from living in tyranny. He is a humble man, and is pretty matter-of-fact about what he did during his time in the service. Ralph Watts, my congressman, was there, and he publicly thanked Taz. Ralph was born two years after Normandy and said that because of Taz's loyal service, and the service and sacrifice of so many thousand others, he has been able to live out a great life. I think this hits a little closer to home now, because my oldest son, Cody, will be joining the Air Force in just a few months. We truly do live in the greatest country in the world, and freedom doesn't just happen - we make it happen.

100_1574.jpg

Route and war history of Patton's 735th Tank Battalion
100_1576.jpg

That is an absolutely excellent story! I too am very much involved with US War history, with WWII being my most intriguing research. I belong to a motorcycle group that spends a lot of time with visiting veterans, young and old, called the Patriot Guard Riders. Our mission is primarily to attend funerals of veterans, lining up to separate the family and the media and pay our respect to our fallen soldiers. We also will attend farewell and welcome home events of units leaving for the war and returning home. I can tell you I am deeply humbled and have tears running down my face at the funerals. I am a proud veteran and salute those like Taz who have served our country so gallantly! Thank you for the story. That is something you and your son will remember the rest of your lives.

Top Bottom