Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A couple of firsts on Opening morning.

captain

First morning of the season found me sitting in my Double Bull hoping that the rain stays away.Well,it starts to sprinkle and I'm a bit disappointed only because I couldnt hear very well with the rain hitting the blind.I wanted to be able to hear because I set up in a new spot this year.Right in the middle of the main strut zone on my farm. Problem is,usually they dont roost anywhere near this spot and I was hoping to keep track of their movements by listening to the gobbles.
Anyway...about 6 oclock I was surprised to hear a gobble about 150 yds to my right. Thats odd. Was that a gobble off to my left? What the heck is going on? They hardly ever roost in that draw.
615 am and they start hitting the ground. I can see 2 birds 100 yards to right.I cluck a few times and one starts to srut. He starts my way and I'm excited.All of a sudden there is a hen coming across the field. The strutter veers off and starts to follow her. I try a few desparation calls just in case.....and about get blown out of my blind by a gobble about 25 yards to my left.HOLY CRAP!
I grab my bow and try to stay calm. Hes coming straight in to the Pretty Boy.Hes in full strut eye ball to eye ball with the Pretty Boy at 7 yards.I want him broadside so I'm waiting for what feels like an eternity.Finally he stops completely.My only shot is straight up the poop shoot.I've never tried it....heard it works...what the heck....I let go and hit dead center and he flips forward twice and its all over. Its 640 on day 1 and I'm done.
I have never shot a bird right off the bat like that.Its usually at least an hour or two after flydown before I have much luck. Plus....I have never shot one straight up the pooper. I guess it helps that he was only at 6 yards.
A strange morning full of a couple firsts for me. Very fun and memorable hunt. I finally found someone to take pics in the rain.They look like crap but once I figure out how to post them,I will. My wife is way smarter than I am so I'll see if she can figure it out.

I have already went and got another tag so I'm good to go for the rest of the season.I hate to say it,but I hope the next one doesnt happen quite so fast. I'd like to enjoy a few nice mornings out there.
Sorry for the long rambling.Good luck to everyone when they get to hunt.

BTW....25 lbs.soaking wet. 1 inch spurs and a 10 3/4 inch beard.

Last edited:
It's nice to make short work once in a while....nice job! Looks like my hunting time is getting wittled down this Spring, hope I can have a day like yours.....

2thumbs.gif

way to go partner. who said 13 was an unlucky number .now we can hold out for booners ha ha
congratulations!

Last edited:
Top Bottom