Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A day to remember, 11-11-11

Well last Friday 11-11 was a day I will never forget. Friday morning, I checked a camera that I hadn't checked since the previous Saturday when I was in there and shot a doe. Had a few good deer on camera, including a big bodied wide 8 and a good looking 10. Here are a few pics....

The wide 8....
PRMS0024.jpg

PRMS0022.jpg

The big 10....
PRMS0032.jpg

PRMS0031.jpg

This is a few photos from Thursday evening the 10th. Clock is an hour off from the time change, so these were actually taken at 5:20 not 6:20. From the pics, looks like a good buck maybe pushing around a few does. I really can't tell which buck it was. Either way, I knew I was going to be in my treestand that's close to that camera that evening of the 11th.
PRMS0081.jpg

The big boy
PRMS0082.jpg

Friday afternoon while I was waiting for my hunting clothes to dry in the washer, I got a call that I had gotten the job that I interviewed for just a few days later. So I was pretty happy while driving out to my hunting spot. I got into my stand at about 3:15. I was there a little earlier, but realized that I had forgot my tree strap for my harness when I got to my tree. Luckily, I was parked close and went back to my truck and got it.

I was sitting there shaking with anticipation of a big boy coming through, as I knew the previous night one was in there during shooting light. After sunset came and went, I peeked at my phone. 5:15 and I had not even seen a doe. Getting pretty bummed at this point, but I figured I had another 5 or 10 minutes of shooting light left. Just a few minutes later, I heard a deer coming. As I caught a glimpse of him, he stopped on the edge of the woods. All I could see were long tines, especially the G3's and new it was the 10 that I had a few photos of. He only stopped that one time. He was limping off one of his front legs, but was walking at a pretty good clip. I drew on him at about 20 yards, but he kept walking and walked behind a big tree and a general area that was not a good place to try to thread an arrow through. I had to let him walk quite a ways before stopping him. He was quartering away just a tad and I figured he was around 30 yards by now. Stopped him with a mouth grunt, took my time really burying my 30 yard pin, and watched my green nock-turnal glowing arrow drill him right behind the shoulder. He ran over a hill and just a few seconds later, I heard him crashing into things and knew he was down. I did a huge fist pump and damn near fell out of my tree! Got down out of the tree right away, waited about 10 minutes, and went and got my arrow. Arrow was covered in good blood so I followed the blood trail right to him, only 40 yards away.

This is only my 3rd bow kill. Shot a few button buck several years ago and a doe 6 days before I shot this deer. Hit a brute in the shoulder last year and needless to say, got very little penetration and didn't find the deer. After that, I decided that I would take a week of vacation during the rut to try to shoot a good deer. I had 9 days off and on my 7th day of vacation, I shot this deer. Couldn't be happier.

He grossed out at 152 7/8th.
DSC00846.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

Congratulations, that is a dandy buck, and I love your screen name "Killer Miller"! One of the best on here!

Awesome buck, and nice pics to go with ! Congrats, but I am gonna tease you about "waiting for your clothes to dry in the washer" That would take some time ! lol
Also, congrats on the new job !

Awesome buck, and nice pics to go with ! Congrats, but I am gonna tease you about "waiting for your clothes to dry in the washer" That would take some time ! lol
Also, congrats on the new job !

Ha! I thought the same thing about the clothes. :D

Great buck!! Congrats! :way:

Top Bottom