Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A double not to be!

DOR

Life Member
I have been watching a group of 5 Toms and 3 hens for about a month and Sat was finally the day I got to make the scouting pay!

Met up with my brother Corey and gave him a brief run down of the situation at 4:30 am. We decided to situate ourselves right on the outskirts of these old boys main strutting area. At 600 the birds were in tow behind the 3 hens and making a half moon towards us.

I had set 2 decoys up (1 jake and 1 hen). We decided that since these birds had not been hunted much, if at all, in the last month we would not even call and just rely on the decoys to bring them in once they were spotted. The plan paid off and around 7:30 we had all 8 birds at 20 yards. I had the only shot, and I pretty much center punched one of the big Toms busting a wing and leaving a massive hole, he didn't go anywhere and just flopped for the moment.

The remaining Toms stuck around and my brother rushed a shot missing badly, I told him to settle down and take his time as the birds didnt even notice the arrow missing them. He fired again striking the bird in the rear leg.

Upon impact, Corey's bird took of across the field. Being the good brother that I am (and the faster one), I immedietly took after his bird and eventually caught up to him at about 200 yards and made a quick snap.

When I got back I couldn't believe it. My bird was gone!

Got on the blood trail which took us through a swamp and jumped the bird about 30 minutes later and took off after him. Just about caught up to him, but he made it into some thick swamp brush just in time.

Then the rain came!!! Lost the blood trail and spent the next 4 hours on hands in knees to no avail.

Still can't believe I lost this bird as he is definetly dead somewhere in that hell hole of a swamp!

Despite my frustration, I was happy for my brother! Here is a pic!
308s_2005_Turkey_May_14th.JPG

A side note: neither one of our shots passed through as I was expecting and we were both shooting 74Lbs razertec's tipped with 1 3/4 " jakhammers!

Man Chris you talk about ups and downs...wow, that is crazy. RazorTEC is the key word in that sentence...
evil.gif
A Mathews would have blown clear through...
grin.gif
Anyway, good luck the rest of the season! Do you think you hit yours a little far forward?

Limb, Don't think so, as i could see a bowling ball size hole in him as I was giving chase! It's a son-o-b for sure.

The upside is that I have till the 26th to redeem myself! Had many birds talking this morning but no takers! Had to head for work around 7:30 or it might have unfolded this morning.

What are your thoughts about going back after the 3 remaining Toms? Will they remember if I set up in another spot?

Where is your exact point of aim on a bird anyway? I have heard many versions as to where to pin them?

To be honest I doubt they will remember however they may be less willing to committ to your set up. Throw in some variation. More decoys, more calling, just mix it up a little and it will come together. Try the breeding jake set up and see if that sets em off.
grin.gif

The reason I asked as to where you hit is Weasel hit one about 2 inches to far forward and lost one as well. Watched the video over and over and it is truley amazing how tough those damn birds are. He hit that one with a four blade hammerhead...

Broadside, right in the middle of the wing spectrum. Beard in the front and right where the fan comes together in the back...
grin.gif
Broadside on a turkey is a tough one but since I have started aiming for the spectrum of feathers I have not lost one.

26Aim.jpg

Get a full length arrow, fletch it up with some 5 or 6 inch fletchings, and tip it with a Guillotine baby! Want to borrow mine?

411GGpic-med.jpg

Congrats to your brother
waytogo.gif

Sorry to here about the lost bird, I know how you feel as the same happened to me this season also.

That sucks man. tell your brother congrats, and hopefully you can get in on those birds again. I have never had any luck with a bow on those old toms either. Good luck the rest of the year

I've never lost one but I'm sure my day is coming. Congrats to your bro on the harvest and good luck with the rest of your season.

Top Bottom