Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A First

191nt

This past weekend I saw my first ever bobcat.While sitting in my stand Saturday AM I saw something running down a dry creek-bed.As it climbed up the bank I thouht what the heck is this.As it turned away I saw the white short bob-tail.Squirrels raced up their trees and began really letting the cat have it,barkihg and chattering away.Later going to get my 14 year old son from his stand his excited greeting to me was,dad you'll never guess what I had right in front of me today.Spoiling his surprise I said,a bobcat and he proceeded to tell me all about the cat walking right in front of his stand.A neat experience for both of us.Not a big animal 15-20lbs.,but neat to see.

191 I'm not trying to horn in on ya. Just wondering how close to Marshalltown you were? I hunt some ground north of Marshalltown aways but still in the county. It would be really neat to see one of those kitty's!!
tongue.gif

I saw one a few years back in the Eldora area. It was sitting on a log and when it saw me, immediately dissappeared into the brush. Unmistakable animal, larger than a cat with the ears and tail "bobbed". Pretty cool.

The sighting was not here in Marshall Co..It was in southern Iowa.In talking to some friends,they watched a mother raise some kits this summer.I think there are quite a few around.I'm wandering what they sound like and how vocal they are.I'd really like to see one of the mountain lions everyone is seeing and talking about in Iowa.

a friend from work brought in some pic's of a bobcat his father-in-law ran over. he said it weighed about 30 to 35 pounds. this was wednesday. he called the dnr and they came and got it. he lives around corydon

I have seen there tracks in the snow for about 5 years now, then my wife and I saw a large tom bobcat a year ago about a mile and a half east of Lake of Three Fires in Taylor County. We saw it cross the road about 100 yards from use so we stopped. When it got to the other side of the road it turned and started to come toward us. We stopped the pickup and it walked up to within 25 yards of us before it saw the pickup. Then it sat down for a few minutes and stared at us before it melted away into the weeds along the road. This was my first sighting of one in Iowa, have seen them in Wyoming when I lived out there. Then this summer my son had one cross the road in front of him about 5 miles south of Clarinda. He pulled over were the cat crossed and it was just sitting there in the ditch watching. I think there are a number of them around, and hopefully we can have a huntable population in the future.

A friend of mine lives just a couple miles out of Adel along the highway, and has shown me several pictures of a bobcat that hangs around their house. They have seen it many times, and it tolerates them taking pictures as long as they keep their distance. One night, it was in their garage. I am going to loan him my camera with a larger zoom lens, and hope to get some good photos back soon.

Top Bottom