Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Good Get Away

CurtisWalker

I used to be an avid waterfowler up until four years ago when I started bowhunting. Since o started bowhunting I have gone out only a hand full of times. Sunday morning my brother went out and shot a single and wouldn't stop bugging me about going with him. So Monday night I went out and got my migratory game bird fee and duck stamp and said I'd go with him when I didn't have anything going on. We scouted a local lake that was just opened up for goose hunting for the first year where he got his goose on Sunday. There weren't as many as we usually see but enough to fill our limit.. Well skip forward to this morning I decided I could go before my 9:00 class and so we got up a little late but still got to the lake 15 minutes before shooting light. I set four decoys before realizing I had forgot my goose calls back home. So we get tucked back in on the island and begin the wait when we see a group coming in and headed to the far shore from us.. By now it's 10 minutes into shooting light and I began calling with my mouth and they hooked hard right around and we dropped 4 with three shots. With it only being 7:15 we decided to go check an old silt pond to see if there were any ducks so we drove around the lake to the public hunting side and walked back to the pond. There were a few teal so we decided to try our luck. We ended up dropping two but one was a diver and we lost her after four dives. We couldn't send a dog in either with all the bluegreen algae so after 30 minutes of searching and kayaking around the pond we gave up. Would have been my brothers first duck so he is pretty bummed. But we will be back this afternoon for the ducks and will be back after geese before class tomorrow. It was a good get away from the stand to give them a rest

Last edited:
Me neither. I wonder how many land around the pond East of the paved road. Or is that the silt pond you're referring to? Either way looks like a good time, Curtis!

That's the silt pond.. I guess it's been packed with ducks lately but we only saw the half dozen teal. Nothing around this afternoon either

Top Bottom