Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A little bit of EHD??

Daver

PMA Member
Three separate neighbors reported finding dead deer around water(ponds) on their places this past weekend. The carcasses were relatively fresh and all were does as I understand. One immediately across the road to the north of me, one more on the property north of him and then three on the property across the road to the east of him, or about 3/4 mile from me.

Ironically, although we too had a long dry spell in May and June, we are better off on moisture now than we are in most summers. BUT...all of the area ponds are down 2'-3' and there is a "classic" ring of mud all around them. Although we did not look for them on our place we also did not see/smell anything obvious...so hopefully this is a mild touch of it?? This is in NE Davis County.

Every year!!!!! It’s a “good thing”. It sucks but it’s in system & deer are building resistance. Lil relieving to find does vs bucks too. ;)

The drought theory never made much sense to me. Rain makes more mud than the drying creeks and ponds do. The midges are likely more concentrated on dryer years, but
IMO drought or not, the disease carrying pests are around and doing their thing. Thank a cow.

The drought theory never made much sense to me. Rain makes more mud than the drying creeks and ponds do. The midges are likely more concentrated on dryer years, but
IMO drought or not, the disease carrying pests are around and doing their thing. Thank a cow.

I see drought followed by enough rain to make the pond and creek beds muddy again being the best breeding time for midges. Just so happens we tend to have a drought most the year then get dumped on with rain for a week towards the end of summer. Could explain why biggest numbers of dead EHD deer are found later in the summer and not during the middle of the drought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard the rumor of EHD where I live but haven’t spoken to the horses mouth yet!
Last outbreak here was 2018 I believe so it’s time to happen lost immunity in the herd

Top Bottom