Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A long time coming.....

DoneRight

PMA Member
picture.php

After 3 long hard years, I finally put a decent buck on the ground. I feel so blessed and humbled just for the opportunity to harvest a buck that I had on my list.

I hunted in the cold and wind everyday all day from the 7th through the 16th with only one appearance of a real good buck. I rattled in numerous up and comers, but decided to let them walk. The one good buck I had come in on the 15th , I had at 15 yds. I drew back and centered in and let the shot go and my drop away rest snapped in two, sending the arrow completely over his back. Come to find out the rest was failing, and I hadn't noticed it and the added cold weather added to its demise. So, I was down right pissed at myself for not being prepared equipment wise to seal the deal. So, I got a new rest put on and got my bow tuned back in the next few days just so I would be prepared for my next opportunity to get out, should it arise.

Thursday the 20th ,I boogied down to the farm to check my cameras after work to see if anything new had shown up. There was a big 10 and this buck that seemed to be cruising a lot the couple days before. So I made my plan for the weekend based on the way the wind was supposed to be out of.
picture.php

picture.php

I decided to sleep in Saturday, just because I have been run so ragged at work and hunting the previous week had really taken everything out of me. I got to my stand at 2pm, walked about 20 yds up wind of my stand and did some rattling. Kicking corn stalks, hitting the horns and thrashing some brush. By 2:15 I was in my stand and tied off ready for another try. I look up and here he comes through the corn field. I was pretty pumped! I was just hoping to get a good shot opportunity. He passed my 40 yd marker(which is unshootable for hunter cover purposes). And was staying on line to have a clear broadside shot at 25 yds. He stayed on that line and at 2:30 I let the arrow fly. It was a good hit, a little low and back of my mark but when I got down to look for blood an hour later it looked like a good hit. A liver hit, but the Grim Reapers did their job opening him up. I got on the blood and got his direction and then turned around got in the truck and went home. I've bumped liver shot deer before and its much easier to find them in the first bed, then the 2nd or 3rd.

So I went back Sunday morning and got on the blood trail what little was left and I look up on the field edge and there he was. Not my biggest bow kill by any means, but a well earned one.

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom