Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A must read

That deer looks an awful lot like the one that guy from NE(?) Iowa claimed he shot during shotgun season.

Nice read and very true. Thanks for sharing. I do enjoy watching deer when I hunt, the young the old the small and large.

More trophy hunter pressure for sure means more great 3 year olds getting whacked. Hard to kill 200" deer when they are loaded up at 150" for their antlers....

Good to hear winke's prediction. Hope he's right. That has been my thought process as well. Hunting isn't going to be as easy and fun (for the guys who's only version of fun is killing deer) and there will be many true weekend warriors who will quit because they have to work too hard at it and they can't easily kill deer. Sure hope that's the way we see it go.

Great read. Agreed - I don't think Mr. Z would appreciate being the poster child. But I would assume Winke got Larry's approval for the photo.

Good article although the first pic was a surprise to me. I know things are different and not what they were butI passed my third buck over 160 this late mz season at 400 pm today. So it could be worse. I compare these years to winter kill in Alberta of other northern areas the herd always recovers. I remember Bill's article on ehd in our area in the 90s it would be an interesting read today.

Well written. Kinda dripping with irony isn't it? Bill made a good living on the "big buck" industry. More power to him, I enjoy his show sometimes too. Mostly because of the horn fever he and others in the business created, bucks don't make it to maturity anymore and he can't find the giants to shoot for his show. You could argue he was too successful!! Are we at the bottom of the cycle? Maybe. But just like hunters want the numbers back to what we were used to, farmers and insurance companies have gotten used to low numbers and DON'T want the good old days back. Who will win this war? Based on how many hunters will actually get involved and send the e-mails and make the calls, I know how I would bet.

I get the feeling he's more concerned about his lack of big bucks then anything. I have always liked him but not feeling to sorry for him. I'm more concerned about seeing deer in general right now.

I get the feeling he's more concerned about his lack of big bucks then anything. I have always liked him but not feeling to sorry for him. I'm more concerned about seeing deer in general right now.

Very good read and I really felt like it was not about him. It is about us, lets respond to the call to action as groups try and get the politicians to follow the recommendations of the biologist. Who knows maybe the floor is going to be much lower numbers.

This will be the hot topic at the state house this session for sure.

I did not mean to sound as harsh as I did on my last post. I am a fan. By the way I believe the gov just hunted with Winke. Think the hunt and enterview is supposed to be on Mondays show.

Wow, if the gov did just hunt with Winke, and it was said he hunted with the Drurys last week, he's really getting a good look at the state of the deer herd!!:rolleyes: or maybe he just wanted a good look at the state of the deer "industry" in Iowa. Oh well, he has to get paid back for all those tags he gives out, right?

He either has 800 or 1200 acres depending on how you interpret the writing. But he doesnt have a single mature deer he can hunt??
I am fortunate enough to hunt alot of acres and I would say we had 8-10 fully mature bucks that we have history with again this year. 5-6 yr old deer.
I believe it all depends on who your neighbors are and how bad ehd took hold.
The areas around us get pushed very little during shotgun season, so that definitely helps alot. We used to whack piles of does also and the writing on the wall became pretty clear that the population was heading downhill in a hurry, we shoot 1-2 does a year now...

He either has 800 or 1200 acres depending on how you interpret the writing. But he doesnt have a single mature deer he can hunt?? I am fortunate enough to hunt alot of acres and I would say we had 8-10 fully mature bucks that we have history with again this year. 5-6 yr old deer. I believe it all depends on who your neighbors are and how bad ehd took hold. The areas around us get pushed very little during shotgun season, so that definitely helps alot. We used to whack piles of does also and the writing on the wall became pretty clear that the population was heading downhill in a hurry, we shoot 1-2 does a year now...
p

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Are we at the bottom of the cycle?
The "cycle" will end when we hit their deer population whisper number. With hunters starting to walk away from the sport, IMO it could take another 5 years to get to the number they want.

He either has 800 or 1200 acres depending on how you interpret the writing. But he doesnt have a single mature deer he can hunt??
Anyone hunting a piece this big is nearly unaffected by the deer numbers in the cheap seats. He just wants to be thought of as one of us, enduring the extreme decline in the deer population.

I agree with the writer's opinion. Good article and well wrote. Makes me kinda upset seeing the rifleteers out in forces today. Saw the harvest numbers are down another ten thousand. Do you believe that is because of lower number of deer or hunters?

Top Bottom