Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A nother mock scrape question

J

jason

I understand good scents to use on the actual scrape, but what about the licking branch????
I haven't seen their preorbital scent, in a jar. But what ever the scent is, do you guys use scent pads, or add it right to aleaf or the twigs?
Thanks, and good hunting

Jason

Jason,here is how you can make a scrape using real scents.Where latex gloves and wear rubber boots and go to an area where a buck is scraping.Dig off the top inch or so of dirt in one of his scrapes and put in a ziploc bag,now cut off the licking branch overhead and put in a large plastic bag.Now go to the area where you want to set-up your mock scrape and after scraping away the ground cover add the scrape dirt.Overhead place the licking branch at about 5 feet with some plastic wire ties.dig a small 3-4 inch deep hole in the middle of the scrape and place a film container with several holes in it and filled with some real tarsal hair from a buck.If you don't have tarsal save some next year for just this purpose.If you are in a mature bucks area hopefully an alpha buck you will see some activity within a few days especially if there is rain.Once the local bucks start visiting it you are done except to wait and hope one visits in the daytime.They will often scent check from about 50yds downwind of prevailing winds.Consider this when setting up your stand.Good Luck!

woods

Talk about being resourceful, Interesting tactic Woodseye! I might have to try it. Have you had success with this method before?

BT

Top Bottom