Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A pound of lead later...

AIRASSAULT

PMA Member
n500039608_986479_8981.jpg

n500039608_986482_5121.jpg

One of my friends... The smallest doe ever
n500039608_986525_6712.jpg

So.. Apparently, the military has made me a bad shot.. I've spent the last year and a half shooting at stationary targets stapled up to a human silhouette, qualified expert marksman with an m-16-a2 and somewhere in the mix, it screwed up my reputation for being called "Dead eye" during shotgun season.
I was fortunate enough to be granted 15 days of leave this year and got to be home for Thanksgiving and the first 2 and half days of Iowa's first shotgun season. I sighted my slug gun in on Thanksgiving weekend and was hitting dead nuts. Usually, I'm a pretty good shot at running targets out to about 75 yards, but, this year was a challenge. The first day, I missed a 130 incher at about 30 yards and a 145-150 incher at about 30 yards.. Both running, but generally dead in their tracks if they get that close to me. I also missed several does.. I was starting to think maybe I bumped my BSA red dot scope and it may have moved somehow. Monday morning came and I had to leave for CR airport by noon.. We made a drive where I missed the 130 incher the first day and I stood in the same spot. Sure enough, 3 does come out and stop right infront of me at about 50 yards. I shoot and dropped one. She got back up and started running again. I tried to shoot again, but nothing happened. "What the Heck!", I thought. The does ran back into the woods and then another deer came out running straight for me. I shot at it once at about 50 yards and then tried to shoot it again at 10 yards, but, once again, nothing happened. This time I dropped an "F" bomb.. The deer ran behind me and my buddy dropped it from about 100 yards on a dead run with one shot.(Turns out, my trusty 870 had something break in the action...don't generally have problems with 870's). After the drive, I went and looked where I dropped the first doe and tracked her into the woods where she was dead.. Finally, a perfect lung shot. I guess my scope wasn't off after all. I'm just a little rusty with the slug gun.
I had a great time back home seeing friends and family and finally getting to eat a good home cooked meal, but, I had to come back here to Egypt /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif It's pretty depressing knowing you have to go back to place like this. The flight back was pretty interesting. I had a 10 hour lay-over in Amsterdam. During the lay-over, some Dutch security guards asked me to be part of a drug dog training session in the airport. They gave me a briefcase and had me sit down in one of the lobbies and they had 3 different dogs go through the airport and find it. After it was done, I asked the guard what was in the briefcase.. He opened it up and I was very surprised to see a bag of cocaine in it!! So that was interesting. Then, I finally got on my plane, and we taxied out to the runway where we sat for 3 hours because one of the boewing 747's engines wasn't working properly. I ended up having to stay in Amsterdam for another 24 hours. I made the best of my time there by getting on a train and going to downtown and seeing the sights (no, i didn't go to the red-light district or to any "coffe shops").. Went to the Anne Frank house and a Vincent Van Goh museum.
Finally made it back to Egypt the next day and had to walk a half mile in to camp from the front gate, all the while, singing Highway to Hell by AC/DC.. Only a month and a half left! I cant wait till February gets here!

thanks for your service and i love my polartech too. 12 below here and i just took her off from shoveling out my squad those things rock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only a month and a half left! </div></div>

Bet you'll be counting the days! Be safe! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Keep on it, Bill. you'll be chasing Gobbies before you know it!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
hoofline.gif

And Thank You for serving our country. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
USA-10-june.gif

pow-miaflag.jpg

hoofline.gif

</div></div>
Nice Doe too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stringleech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for your service and i love my polartech too. 12 below here and i just took her off from shoveling out my squad those things rock </div></div>

My wife and I have 4 of those polartecs....gotta love military issue....I wear mine everywhere.

Congrats man on an exciting trip home, I can attest to the M16 not shooting anything like my slug gun too. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Egypt - how cool. Are you getting out in Feb?

congrats on a great "break". don't worry, i've seen smaller does, and have probably even shot a few /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

we had a similar situation. my cousin has been stationed in germany, and has been to iraq multiple times. he is the middle of his 14 month deployment, and he got a break, and made it back home. this year was the first year he has been able to go deer hunting in 6 years. he is now back in the sand for 7 1/2 more months, which will end his term in the military. one difference, his military training has made him a better shot. over the first weekend, he shot 3 deer. he spent the rest of his break seeing family and friends, and trying to line up a job for when he gets back. if everything goes according to plan, he will done missing out on iowa deerhunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stringleech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for your service and i love my polartech too. 12 below here and i just took her off from shoveling out my squad those things rock </div></div>

My wife and I have 4 of those polartecs....gotta love military issue....I wear mine everywhere.

Congrats man on an exciting trip home, I can attest to the M16 not shooting anything like my slug gun too. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Egypt - how cool. Are you getting out in Feb? </div></div>

Yea.. the polartecs are awesome.. I'm pretty sure i'm just going to keep it and let the government take it out of my pay whenever I get out of the military, which wont be until 2011.

Congratulations!

Glad you came home to hunt, and had a good time.

Thank you for your service and protecting the the rights of the finatic liberal that called the mayor on me the other day for having a deer hanging in my tree on my property. What a great country!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations!

Glad you came home to hunt, and had a good time.

Thank you for your service and protecting the the rights of the finatic liberal that called the mayor on me the other day for having a deer hanging in my tree on my property. What a great country!

</div></div>

That sucks man! unfortunately, part of my obligation is to protect everyone's rights.. you're right to do what you want on your property, and the other persons right to bitch... Damn liberals /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I live right next to one.. and I tell you, he was the most annoying person in the world during the recent election.

I swore the same oath several years ago, and agreed to take the bitter with the sweet. After I toured the world I came back here to the land of many freedoms /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Sounds like a you had a pretty good weekend. Thank your for the service, count the days, and get back home safe.

Kratz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at stationary targets stapled up to a human silhouette, qualified expert marksman with an m-16-a2 </div></div>
BTDT

As for the young doe... enjoy the tender niblets!!

Top Bottom