Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A very unique 5X5....with a very unique story...

buck1979

A different looking 5X5 I thought I would share. Collected lots of footage of him throughout last fall. Very old deer, at least 9 1/2, you can really see it in his sagging body, and he has gone down hill. We have a long history, and I am not too proud to admit, I unsucsessfully tried to harvest him in 2002 when i estimate he would have been around 160". I had spotted him, and watched him all summer, set up for him and the very first night of the 2003 season he came through early....and I dropped the ball, and he caught me drawing my bow. He dissapeared for the rest of that year, and the next 4 years he was only spotted maybe once a year. Last year, I got on him early in June, and keept an eye on him.My wife Rochelle had decided that she wanted to try for him...which suited me fine, as I had some unfinished buisness with him but had my eye on a different deer... And how lucky I thought we were when my wife had a chance at him on film the first night last fall, actually the first 15 minutes of the first day of her first deer season. At 16 yards, camera rolling, but he passed through quatering too us, not presenting a good shot. Hard to watch him go by so close with no shot, especially after filming him pre-season, and over the last several years. Like before, he disapeared after that first night....of course only until my wife tagged out, and then he re-appeared and I filmed him within easy bow range several more nights. I am sure he knew I had my tag was reserved for a different buck. Hopefully the old boy made her through the winter after he shed and we're able to find him for another year and this year maybe my wife will catch up with him...But you know, in all reality...A small part of me is almost rooting for the deer in our little game of cat and mouse.

Here he is in velvet...right side

dipsy_3_.JPG

Left side....
dipsy_2_.JPG

In Hard horn...
dipsy_4_.JPG

Shed right side
dipsy.JPG

And his sheds together again

sheds_07_9_.JPG

arrow.gif

Dandy buck, always nice to have some history on the deer a person is pursuing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

We appreciate you sharing with us. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

arrow.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<< iowawhitetail.com, Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.
11.jpg

Cool story Dean!!!!

just having sheds and trail cam pix make up a nice trophy as it is!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is truly a legend. I would love to kill a monarch like that. 9.5 WOW!</div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking...awesome story

Re: A very unique 5X5....with a very unique story.

9 1/2 !?!?!?!?! WOW! He's a decorated war general by now. That's awesome stuff.

He's back...The old feller made it over through late winter. At 10.5 he is really showing his age, and he has grown his smallest rack since he was 2, but sure nice to see the old feller around.

kkj.JPG

kk.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">his head is just huge!!!!

you gonna shoot him if he steps by? </div></div>

nah...Funny how it goes hey...I chased him for years, and had just one chance at him that I boffed when he was in his prime...and he went nocturnal/ghost like for years, but now, he will be let walk, and hes ALWAYS around. Will see what happens, he would be a good deer to take from the area, and I have a hard time seeing him last another winter so maybe someone i know will want to slip out and try for him, not sure...I dont think I want to be there though...the problem with making friends with deer I guess.

I can only imagine what that deer has seen and been through in his 10.5 years. UNREAL, and I wouldn't be able to harvest him either. He deserves to go out in his sleep some night.

I like the idea of giving him a free pass since he was able to outsmart you when you were really after him.

Very neat story/history.

Old dipsy was out last night and I was fortunate enoug to film him and another better buck for awhile. We had some poacher trouble here and someone even killed a buck from my stand and left it to rott 20 yds away. Needless to say Nocturnal has been the word of the day for these bucks the last while. Dipsy isnt looking too good this year, and at his age and condition I am thinking it may be his last, so when i seen him bobbing through the timber out to the filed last night I was relieved to be able to spend some more time with the old feller. He almost busted me though. As I was sitting there, I laughed out loud a little, thinking of all the nights I sat in trees and blinds over a few years when he was a king (well low 170's anyway)just praying to get a chance to release an arrow at him, and now here we are again only 20 yd apart, arrow nocked, laughing a bit thinking he likely knows I am there, but knows I will be of no harm to him...He earned his keep, and last night confirmed after all these years and mis-attempts, theres no way I could let an arrow go in his direction.... I just wish I could make a deal with him, to lure any big bucks that are a pain in his ass by my tree or blind, and I will take care of it for him.LOL

They sure are a wonderfull animal.

Top Bottom