Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Absolutly Disgusted

jeezticals

Next Year
Found two of my straps destroyed on one of my stands today. One was the top strap to a stick and lower strap on stand. I don't get it.

picture.php

picture.php

That sucks. Good thing you noticed it before it was too late. I had a similar situation with an anti neighbor a few years back. He cut a couple straps on my sticks mostly but not completely through so they would break. I don't understand why anybody would try to do bodily harm over hunting

Ive had that happen on my farms near Grant... Private ground, but the neighbors who tresspassed didnt like I was killing big deer...

So can you tell what happened to them? Were they shot? Wrecked with a tool?

I can't imagine a tree falling into them could have damaged them without damaging your stand or sticks?

If it was somebody doing so maliciously, they should be entitled to a long drop and a quick stop.

I cant tell how new they are or how long that stand has been up, but if it's been there a while, it looks like the tree could have grown enough to split them apart from pressure.

I cant tell how new they are or how long that stand has been up, but if it's been there a while, it looks like the tree could have grown enough to split them apart from pressure.

I can't say for sure from the pics, but you may well have nailed it. After reading your post, I looked back at the pics and it also appears to me that the stand platform is angling up a little. Which could also be a signal that the tree has grown/moved and what popped everything is just from stress.

If though this was the work of some nefarious ne'er-do-well, then I would be very upset and highly motivated to find out who the perpetrator(s) is(are) and I would be pressing charges, etc. If one of my family or friends climbed into a tree stand on my farm that someone else had deliberately sabotaged and I knew it for sure...and they ended up falling, etc, I think what happened next would be the lead story on the nightly news.

It has been there a short year. I will have to investigate further. I hope it was an act of God. I just don't think believe that two different styles of straps would do that. I have had stands in the same trees for close to a decade and never had this happen.

It has been there a short year. I will have to investigate further. I hope it was an act of God. I just don't think believe that two different styles of straps would do that. I have had stands in the same trees for close to a decade and never had this happen.

Another possible factor...this year, unlike the last 2 years, most of Iowa had good to very good rainfall. It is possible that a given tree "popped" this year with the abundant moisture following two very dry years.

At any rate, I hope you are able to find out for sure what happened and that it isn't a deliberate attempt to sabotage your stands.

I think it was more of a freak thing. The average person would have a knife on them to cut straps not something to do that kind of damage to the actual ratchet. If it was shot you would think you would see sharp edges etc that show markings of being "shot".

Don't think it was so much that the tree swelled as much it was probably just the swaying of the tree during high winds. I know I want the straps as tight as possible but there needs to be room for some movement.

Top Bottom