Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorn Drop

iatreehugger

PMA Member
I was just wondering what the sightings have been on trail cams, and what your opinions were on the high winds we had on Monday...at least here in SE Iowa. My son and I hunted a great cornfield edge with heavy bedding all around it, and only saw three deer. The last time there were four times that many. I was just wondering if you think or know that the deer are now gorging themselves on the acorns that fell during the heavy winds on Monday. Good luck, and have a safe season!

The deer are on acorns by me. I went to collect some acorns by the road and even all those were eaten up. I'd say the deer are focusing on acorns right now until they are done dropping and gobbled up.

I think the deer prefer acorns over anything and from what I've seen, the acorn crop this year was and still is outstanding. I agree with Sligh, the majority of deer won't move to other food sources until the acorns have dwindled down some.

Thanks for the confirmations...I have some good stands that head to the acorns...but they are also a strange combo of risky...because they edge bedding areas, and the only time I use them is reallllly early when the acorns fall, or when the rut is smoking.

I haven't been in the woods lately but all the acorns in my neighborhood dropped 3 weeks ago. Not sure what it is like in the field.

Up here in da north woods dont cha know the last of acorns been dropped for a week or two. We also had a great crop so there is plenty on the ground still after a week.

I hunted over acorns last night and had a small 8 point come in to feed at last light. The rain sucked, but I got my first hunt out of the way.

Heck I went to collect some of this tree the other day that is about 30 yards from my parents door and the deer had ate about every viable one that had dropped. This is what one of the many many limbs on this tree looked like so the deer should be plenty fat this winter!! :D

I literally found 10 viable acorns that were left.

WhiteOak2.jpg

I also think that spraying rounup underneath this tree helped make it a magne to the deer so they did not have to sift through grass to get to them...they are just laying on bare ground so that may be a tip to try by some of your favorite stand sites.

Good thought here...

I also think that spraying rounup underneath this tree helped make it a magne to the deer so they did not have to sift through grass to get to them...they are just laying on bare ground so that may be a tip to try by some of your favorite stand sites.

Several years ago now I had a bulldozer go through my timber to re-establish a long overgrown laneway to a field on top of the hill. It so happened that the lane ran directly underneath the branches of 2 or 3 of my prime, mature white oaks on the property. So that fall when the acorns fell they landed on mostly bare dirt and I will say that there was A LOT of deer sign and activity on that lane that fall. The acorns were easy pickings to be sure.

I wonder if you could accomplish the same thing by running a lawn mower around a few select oak trees and purposely discharging the mowed material out, away from the trunk creating a bare spot for the acorns to show up on?

I would think anything would help as far as that would go. Roundup the area, put large chunks of poly down, acorns drop, go out gather them up and sell them $$$. They were paying $100 a bushell for Bur and Red up here 3weeks ago.

Top Bottom