Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

acorn mia

vrod

I did some scouting this weekend at some farms I've hunted for a while.There are many oak trees that produced very little acorns last year. I went to see how they did this year and found none.Not one tree in my areas produced any acorns at all.What causes this to happen?I thought my deer sightings sucked last year,this year ought to be even worse.

One of my best areas got hamered with hail this summer. It tore up the crop fields, knocked down lots of trees, and seems to have devastated the acorns too. I feel bad for the farmers without the right insurance coverage.

Supposedly,,some oaks produce acrons every year,not sure if red or White,,others, every other year. I have both kinds on and around my land and they take several yrs to produce. Don't know why. If you can fertilize a tree,,it is supposed to help.

Reds take two years for acorns to grow and drop, but they can and will drop every year. It's just they drop the acorns that were grown a year before that. White oaks grow and drop in the same season.

I used to think reds only produced every other year until I started collecting acorns and noticed the northern red oaks I was collecting from produced acorns 2 years in a row.

Top Bottom