Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Experiment.

Planting 400 shingle oaks in clusters. Not protecting.

Will see if they survive.

Screenshot_20240418_142025_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240418_142018_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240418_142011_Gallery.jpg

When should I expect to see growth from fall planted acorns? Did about 1.5 acres of tilling and broadcasting acorns. Didn’t rain for a long time after so I am worried they dried out.

Also planted a couple hundred DCO’s by drilling a hole and dropping in the hole.

Anxious to see if any make it but no idea when I should expect to know.

Very cool - doing something similar next week! Where did you get them?
Experiment.

Planting 400 shingle oaks in clusters. Not protecting.

Will see if they survive.

View attachment 127247

They're a very hardy oak for browse. I've killed more than 400 on my place and need to do a whole bunch more.

If you all want any acorns this fall, I'll see if they're producing this year on the farm....or come down and pick your own if you want.

They're a very hardy oak for browse. I've killed more than 400 on my place and need to do a whole bunch more.

If you all want any acorns this fall, I'll see if they're producing this year on the farm....or come down and pick your own if you want.
I get it. Considered scrub tree by most.

Why planted. None on my farm. I love that they hold their leaves thru winter.

I plan to manage them like a shrub strictly for cover. I'll mulch them down as necessary as they resprout like crazy

I've been tinkering with different pots the last few years for starting trees and am probably overcomplicating it - but what have you all found as the best size and type (plastic, grow bag etc. ) for starting and keeping young oaks through the winter to plant at 2 yo or even 3yo ???

I find a 5 gal plastic pot just leaves you with circled up tap root. Bagging a few this year to see, seems like they should air prune and eliminate any tap root issues. Just trying to learn those of you experienced and grow them the best I possibly can!

Top Bottom