Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Just check them once a week to make sure they are not molding. Did you use peat moss? It blocks mold from forming and is why I use it.

I agree! Don't just forget about them....check on them every now an then just to be safe...:way:

I used the same Miracle grow potting stuff Dbltree showed in a picture which is mostly peat I think. In-laws are going to freak out when they see bags of dirt in the spare frig on their next visit!

Bur/gambel's from Unv Idaho Nursery, looks like I missed out on those for next year (spring anyways), I would have liked to give those little plugs a shot over bareroot stock.

http://seedlings.uidaho.com/

I like the root pruning that Kelly Tree farm does, although their Swamp Bur hybrid is still bare root stock, sounds like many folks here have had good results with this hybrid in general fast grower, tolerates many soil types. Any differences in higher survival or quicker growth noticed from there stock using the root pruning?

http://www.kellytreefarm.com/

On a different note:

Couple questions on protecting Oak and Apple trees from deer browsing and buck thrashing... I have a few staggler trees 2 year old seedlings) to protect in the coming weeks. Plan to use some chicken wire, what hieght would be best for oak? and what hieght for apples?

I've heard that once the trees get to about 6 feet deer leave them alone from browsing but then they'd be just about the right size for rubs or whatever is going through a buck's minds at the time.

Next year I'll be recycling tubes, with a little help from Kelly or Morse nursery, from some 2 year old trees and I'll be putting some fence around those as well.

Last edited:
On a different note:

Couple questions on protecting Oak and Apple trees from deer browsing and buck thrashing... I have a few staggler trees 2 year old seedlings) to protect in the coming weeks. Plan to use some chicken wire, what hieght would be best for oak? and what hieght for apples?

I've heard that once the trees get to about 6 feet deer leave them alone from browsing but then they'd be just about the right size for rubs or whatever is going through a buck's minds at the time.

Next year I'll be recycling tubes, with a little help from Kelly or Morse nursery, from some 2 year old trees and I'll be putting some fence around those as well.

I like to have at least 4' high fencing and with apples I lift it up on posts to protect against browsing...;)

oaks

DH!: I will sell you my 25 bur gambels that I reserved from the Idaho Nursery for ?

Just kidding! They do sell out fast.

DH!: I will sell you my 25 bur gambels that I reserved from the Idaho Nursery for ?

Just kidding! They do sell out fast.

Oikos Tree crops has them for as low as $1.20 a piece (link on first page) and they perform equally as well as the Idaho trees...:way:

dbltree: The Bur Gambels from Oikos are as nice as the Idaho trees? same size?

They are in little paper pots and don't have quite as nice of root systems but the seedling itself is around the same size.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer the Idaho seedlings simply for ease of planting but if they are out...Oikos is doggone close.

At the end of the growing season I really can't tell the difference...;)

Here are some pics of Oikos Tree Crops seedlings....

These are Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks

PlantableTubes.jpg

If you plant these and tube them it's no problem but if they are unprotected it might be better to remove the pot. I have had curious critters pull the whole seedling out to chew on the paper pot!?

HeelinginaTrench.jpg

This is an Idaho seedling...same size but just has a nice compact root system that is also easily planted

IdahoNurserySeedling.jpg

Not enough difference to overlook Oikos as a source of BurXGambel hybrids if Idaho is out....:way:

dbltree,
thanks for the info on the chicken wire and Oikos...

When it comes time to plant these little pots and plugs, some of the nursuries say not to use a tree bar, but to dig out a hole.
I planted larger bare root stock (18-36 inches) and I've spent more time putting plants in the ground by going up in size.

In your experience about how many inches around and under do you try to work around the plug and do you try to loosen the soil further outside that area as well?

I'm not looking to take short-cuts, just want to make it work but, nice to be able to put more in the ground if not doing extras.

Hardwood11,
Well my hunting property is in MI, but I actually live in Minnesota, so you never know, one of these days we might end up splitting an order from one of the other places, I think Idaho's minimum order was like 5 trees, so no problems their.

In your experience about how many inches around and under do you try to work around the plug and do you try to loosen the soil further outside that area as well?

Actually we planted many of them with a tractor mounted tree planter but we have hand planted using both a tree spud and shovel with no real extra care or effort to "dig" a hole.

All the trees have done real well with very low mortality but perhaps they might do even better if you dug a small hole? :confused:

thanks dbltree,

Next week I'll be doing some planning for next spring. Probably have my hands full with some of the edges that I want to fill in with hybrid Oak seedlings, but I have 2-3 spots about an acre each that might be good to try thinning with some hinging and then put in Oak seedlings in those spots too. I'm pretty sure it's mostly maples some junk trees. I'll try to track down a forester but it's seems like a tough chioce to drop those older trees and not sell them for fire wood.

I went ahead and got 25 allegheny chinquapin seedlings from Reeseville Ridge (WI) for a buck a pop. It will be interesting to see how well they do. Also, some were planted as sprouted seeds next to the seedlings. Nothing tastes sweeter than a chinquapin so they should be a stellar draw if they do well in my area. Now if I could only find my camera, I would have some pics, it is MIA and quite possibly a casualty out on the farm somewhere from all the planting. :D

I was checking my acorns in the fridge the other day and noticed that a couple sawtooths had germinated. Looking forward to next spring already! :drink2:

bur/swamp white oak

The bur x swamp white oak hybrid supposedly grows on any soil, according to a nursery owner. I have some planted on sandy soil and good loam soil and they are doing well so far (but we have had ample amounts of rain). Anyone have any bur/swamp white hybrids that are growing fast and/or producing acorns on medium to poor soils?

Thanks.

Top Bottom