Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

How late can I plant my swamp whites that are in Root Makers right now? I have a few left to plant on a property that is a ways away. Can I wait until near Thanksgiving or should I get them there right away? If I do plant them right away, have you noticed any affect on the deer with the tree tubes popping up? They will be planted next to a small food plot.

Thanks!

Later is better Wayne and tubes don't seem to bother deer one way or the other...right now they love to smash them so later is better for those too ;)

Do you like to plant trees in the fall or spring better? I just planned on planting in spring

Fall is best but I would rather hunt then plant trees so I end up planting in the spring. Fall will usually have better survival then spring

Would you comment on the difference on trees started in rootmakers and the same tree planted at the same time in it's permanent home after ten years. I have heard that by then there is not much difference in the two trees.

I guess I would have to see living proof of that...talk is cheap or so they say, but my own experience is that natural or bare root trees grow far slower and produce mast much later then RM grown seedlings.

A RM grown oak may produce mast in 5-8 years versus 10-15 for a natural tree. Show me 100 RM grow trees and 100 natural grown trees in the same field after 10 years....

Here's a link to the Rootmaker web site

Rootmaker

I have some apple trees grown in Rootrapper bags...not even in the same ball park as conventional grown trees...;)

Actually, My source was the DNR. I find I do not often agree with them. And I am not at all sure how long the rootpruning system has been used. So 10 year old stands of root pruned trees would be quite rare I would think.

I didn't get a direct seeding area sprayed with Oust before the Oaks leafed out what would you recommend I do to eliminate competition at this point? Besides the weeds they are doing great.
11gd.jpg
10dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg
09jh.jpg
09bh.jpg

I didn't get a direct seeding area sprayed with Oust before the Oaks leafed out what would you recommend I do to eliminate competition at this point? Besides the weeds they are doing great.
11gd.jpg
10dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg
09jh.jpg
09bh.jpg

You can spray over the top with Oust once trees are dormant this fall or before they break bud in the spring. You can control grasses and broadleaf weeds with clethodim, prowl and simazine almost any time, but better when dormant if possible

Alright boys, tell me how bad I messed up. I have been caring for my DCOs in the fridge for months. LastA few weeks ago I obtained a college refrigerator to make some room for my wife in our home fridge.:way:

So I put a cup of water in the fridge to test when it was just cold enough but not freezing. I then put the bag of DCOs in there and about 4 days later I checked it and found that the bag was frozen!:thrwrck:They are moved back to the home fridge but I am wondering how bad I might have messed up the survival rate. Your thoughts???

I wouldnt think it would hurt.. I cant see why it would be any different than an acorn frozen in the ground over winter.

Your thoughts???

Some of mine have froze in the past, they come out fine. I would imagine it was just under freezing so it was not a big deal. Now, zero degrees or something like that may do some serious damage.

I would say yours will be fine. Besides, they should have sent out a taproot in most cases by now anyways I would imagine? Once the bag thaws, check a few and see if the taproot is still bright in color.

I've done the same thing with those little frig's. Stacked them too heavy and a couple of bags were frozen. Didn't hurt any of them.

I wanted to share this source for acorns, seeds and tubes in this thread in case anyone is interested in starting acorns and does not have a source for them

I HAVE THE FOLLOWING TREE SEEDS AVAILABLE:

6,000 lbs of Bur Oak
900 lbs of Swamp White Oak
<var id="yiv1725672822yui-ie-cursor"></var>

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mike Hamilton, Owner

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Timber Management and Seed Co., LLC[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]385 North Haven Drive, Robins, IA 5232[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]e-mail: [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][email protected][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cell phone (319) 573 - 0615 [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Specializing in tree and shrub seed for small and large projects. Supplying hunters, landowners, foresters, contractors, nurserymen, and farmers. Also a supplier of TreePro ventilated tree shelters, stakes and other forestry products."[/FONT]
5' vented tree shelters (1 to 49)= $4.00
5' vented tree shelters ( 50 to 99 )= $3.00
5' vented tree shelters ( 100 + ) = $2.60
5' Bamboo stakes (1 to 99) = $1.50
5' Bamboo stakes (100+) = $1.15
6' Bamboo stakes (1 to 99 ) =$2.00
6' Bamboo stakes ( 100 + ) = $1.40
We can ship 50, 5' shelters and 50, 5' stakes for to ND, SD, NE, MN, WI, IA and IL for about $20.00 or less .
We can ship 50, 5' shelters to these same states for close to $10.00 to $15.00.
---- **BARK PROTECTORS NOW AVAILABLE TOO**

[/FONT]

I am seenin a lot of press lately on the Dunstan chestnut. They say it will grow in zone 4 and may be the best mast tree ever for deer. That's what they say......Anyone in one of the cold states planted any of these? Would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

I have a friend who grows them in Pennsylvania and deer do love them, however deer love ALL chestnuts so don't fall prey to the advertising hype... ;)

I am seenin a lot of press lately on the Dunstan chestnut. They say it will grow in zone 4 and may be the best mast tree ever for deer. That's what they say......Anyone in one of the cold states planted any of these? Would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks!
I've planted them in New Hampshire in zone 4B. They've seen a few -20 days. They've survived 2 winters so far with no die back.

I'm looking to purchase some Rootmaker propagation trays to start the acorns I collected this past fall. Should I buy the 18 cell or 36 cell trays? I would obviously rather have the 36 cell for the same price but will the seedlings outgrow the smaller cells if started in Mid-late March and not put in the ground until late fall? I have several different types of acorns; SWO, DCO, WO, Burr Oak, American Chestnut. I think I'm definately going to be starting the DCO's in the smaller cells because they are a very small acorn, but would the larger Burr oak acorns outgrow them too fast?

I'm looking to purchase some Rootmaker propagation trays to start the acorns I collected this past fall. Should I buy the 18 cell or 36 cell trays? I would obviously rather have the 36 cell for the same price but will the seedlings outgrow the smaller cells if started in Mid-late March and not put in the ground until late fall? I have several different types of acorns; SWO, DCO, WO, Burr Oak, American Chestnut. I think I'm definately going to be starting the DCO's in the smaller cells because they are a very small acorn, but would the larger Burr oak acorns outgrow them too fast?

Buy the 18 cell, the 36 are very small and not best suited for starting acorns and nuts but fine for smaller seeds :way:

I will second that. Also get the individual 18 express cells with the tray....makes it much easier to move the seedlings around.

Let me forth that and admit that I didn't get the Express Trays first. I'm now cutting apart all my 18 cell trays and the Express Trays are on the way!

Oak plugs----white oak, swamp white oak, northern pin oak...range in price from .55 to 1.50 depending on how many you order

I can get you details

I got my DCOs planted in the rootcells today......but I have a delima. My wife's day care with 1 and 2 year olds will prevent me from utilizing the only south facing window inside my house as I'm sure they would uproot or dumpt them in no time.

So, my question is, would you suggest putting them in the south facing windows in my semi-heated garage, or in the basement in front of a north facing window? The basement will be much warmer but the garage will allow direct sunlight.

I also have a tray of DCOs that I tried something new. The guy I bought the acorns from suggested burrying a tray of planted acorns in the garden surrounded by a few inches of mulch. I gave it a try and will dig it up soon and compare.

Thanks again!:way:

Top Bottom