Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Is there any difference in using atrazine vs. simazine around new tree plantings? I recently planted about 100 DCO acorns in a clean/vegetation free row next to my new CIR drilled last fall. My thought was that next spring I will spray the entire area with Oust and then the tree row with atrazine I already have. Thanks<O:p</O:p

Is there any difference in using atrazine vs. simazine around new tree plantings? I recently planted about 100 DCO acorns in a clean/vegetation free row next to my new CIR drilled last fall. My thought was that next spring I will spray the entire area with Oust and then the tree row with atrazine I already have. Thanks<O:p</O:p

I haven't noticed any. I've moved towards atrazine only because it's so much easier for me to get since it's a common herbicide & I have my RUP. opposite case for other guys though. This year I used Atrazine & plateau for my residuals and still not one stinkin weed growing, not one. I will admit- I like a very heavy rate of atrazine or simizine. I avoided oust on shrubs & fruit trees of course, oaks fine. For post emergent, Round-up if dormant trees or I'm super careful otherwise clethodim & crop oil & obviously Oust will be fine pre or post- I still avoid hitting trees with it.

Thanks for the herbicide info guys. If anyone is still looking for some DCO acorns, you may want to call Justin Martin of Valparaiso, NE (402-784-6261). He has sold a lot this fall, but it may be worth checking with him anyway.

Those small ones look like they did not develop properly and are shriveled? If so they were probably not pollinated properly. I'd stick with the larger ones.

My rootmaker Chinkapins are starting to yellow at the leaves. At what point are they dormant "enough" to plant in the ground without stressing them? Should I wait another week or two. We have frosted overnight but not froze. When are others typically planting? For those that I do not plant in the ground at this time... should I cover with mulch for the winter? Thanks!

My rootmaker Chinkapins are starting to yellow at the leaves. At what point are they dormant "enough" to plant in the ground without stressing them? Should I wait another week or two. We have frosted overnight but not froze. When are others typically planting? For those that I do not plant in the ground at this time... should I cover with mulch for the winter? Thanks!

Anytime the weather cools, you can plant them out of the rootmakers. I've planted oaks out in the middle of the summer when the weather was cool. Long as the rootball stays intact...plant away. :way:

What is the best way(survival) to winter the left over oaks in the rootmaker trays that I did not get planted this fall? I hope to plant the remainder in the spring when time permits. Can I leave them in the dark in my barn? Do they need to stay moist until freeze?

What is the best way(survival) to winter the left over oaks in the rootmaker trays that I did not get planted this fall? I hope to plant the remainder in the spring when time permits. Can I leave them in the dark in my barn? Do they need to stay moist until freeze?

They should be kept moist so if you can use some mulch over top that would help. Keep out of reach of mice, rabbits etc.

I was surprised to see such a difference in root growth so far on acorns collected the same day, but from two different trees off the farm. Also note that the acorn with the best roots comes off a tree that has produced acorns every year I have owned the farm.

First tree, every acorn collected off it had roots as pictured.

0B617C45-C1F5-4E27-B75A-A55057BA9E8A-970-000000D780459C15_zps0bf82b93.jpg

2nd tree is the one that produces yearly and all acorns looked like this.

D3C66F06-FFEA-4BE6-8FA2-3E28CA591205-970-000000D787E23EAE_zps8e5073e1.jpg

I've read a lot about you guys planting Dwarf Chinkapin Oak over the last 5 years, how are they producing? Have you noticed any additional attractant to these stands? Finally does anyone know of any acorns/ bare root stock that are available for 2014?

I've read a lot about you guys planting Dwarf Chinkapin Oak over the last 5 years, how are they producing? Have you noticed any additional attractant to these stands? Finally does anyone know of any acorns/ bare root stock that are available for 2014?

Ours are 3-4 years old but no acorns yet although others have had a few. Oikos Tree Crops is a good source but others are mentioned back thru this thread.

Some questions fellas.. Ive got some tree tubes on the way and was going to try to get my trees from this spring/summer planted this weekend or next. Problem is, I still have some bowhunting left that I would like to do on those weekends and it's looking like the grpund may be getting frozen in the near future, especially with a low of 12 and hi of 27 coming this saturday after a couple days of wet weather.. How important would it be to get those trees in the ground yet this fall vs. waiting until Spring? If I wait, should I keep them in my 'warm' garage or just let them sit outside and freeze.. I also have a shed out back that has no heat that I could keep them in, but theyll freeze in there too.

Top Bottom