Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

acres of farm land in exchange for tilling of food plots

Thayerslayer

I have a small 30 acre piece near Leon, IA. I have 2 established food plots that I need plowed under in order to replant this spring. I can take care of all the spraying, seeding, fertilizing, mowing, etc of the plots. I Just don't want to mess with tilling up the ground. The small plot is not even an acre and the larger plot at the most is 1.5 acres.

The North portion of my land is made up of 12 acres of open field (most recently used for cows or possibly horses), at this point it has been sprayed once and beans were attempted last year, however the farmer waited to long to seed and with the rains, the area became just too wet and it was a bust. If you subtract area with pine trees, historically too wet to farm areas, I would realistically say you would have at a bare minimum of 5 acres upward of 8 or 9 acres to work with a dry spring.

I would like any type of crop put into these acres. I would think beans would be best for a couple of years since the ground really has not been farmed in the recent past. The deal I am looking for is till my plots and the acres to farm and the yield is yours.

Beans are perfect for food plot on new soil. Makes it easier for the next crop as well

Beans are perfect for food plot on new soil. Makes it easier for the next crop as well

X2 on the beans!! ^^ Another thought to consider based on what you said...if the ground was previously pastured to cattle or horses...in my experience, for whatever reason, once you start working ground that used to be horse or cattle pasture, you are likely to see a very strong "thistle invasion".

Be on the lookout for that and fight it aggressively early on if they show up. Your plots will be small enough that you should be able to spot spray any volunteer thistles, but don't let them be!! ;) Get right on them!

Thanks for the heads up on the thistles. Last year planted Turnips and they did very well. No thistles to speak of, however the ground where the plots were placed was more on the edge of the timber and not part of the cattle pasture. Going with a mix of chicory/clover with the addition of some type of tall cover grasses on the outside this year. Did not have much activity on the turnips until well into February. Plus don't want the hassle of replanting every year.

Top Bottom