Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Adhesive Question!!!

Big Timber

After building my third camera, I still haven't found a good adhesive for the glass over the shutter and flash. Not only that but what do you guys use to keep water out of the cam on the outside of the camera. I'm talking about the two holes(one shutter, and the other being the flash). I've tried silicone but I find it hard to control the bead and the seal looks tacky. Does anybody have any suggestions?
I glue the glass on from the inside but I like to seal around the outside hole as well. I'm looking for some way to seal around the outer edge of the holes with a clean bead of sealant. Preferably something clear. Any ideas?

Thanks,

BT

Big Timber.......When I built my homebrews last summer I used a product call Stik'n Seal by Loctite. I comes in white tube with blue and red lettering. It is a waterproof adhesive that goes on clear/transparent and stays that way upon drying. Hope this helps.....I bought it at Lowes here in WDM.

Thanks,
I appreciate the replies. Do you guys use one piece of glass for the shutter and flash hole? I used one piece on my first cam and had no problems with the flash bleeding through. On my newest cam, the flash is reflecting through the single piece of glass and distorting the pictures. I have no clue why my newest one has this problem. Do certain types of glass work better or should I just use two pieces?

BT

I just finished my 3rd digital cam, all of which have separate pieces covering each hole. I use a 37mm UV filter for the shutter and a regular piece of glass for the flash.

I've learned to make sure that the two don't touch, this insures there is no transfer of light between the two. In my experience if light can pass between the two there are times when the photo captures the reflection of the shutter itself in the photo.

Hope this helps a little - Good Luck!
waytogo.gif

I used silicone and had great results.Make sure you stick some faom in between the flash and the lense to seperate them.

I took the lenses out of a couple of flashlights and glued them with silicone over the holes. The lenses were old so they were scratched up. I think the idea will work better if the lenses were new and smaller diameter. I don't think it would be worth it to buy a couple of small mag lights just for the lenses. More head scratching is needed.

The 'Bonker

One Cam,
Where do you get your 37mm uv lenses? I got my first pics with my dig and they are awesome except for the bleed on the flash. I got 290 pics with a 128 mb stick within 5 days! No big bucks but lots of little guys.

Thanks,
BT

Top Bottom