Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Adjustable 1 Pin VS. 3 Pin Fixed Sights....

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Hey All,

Just curious what your opinions are about adjustable/moveable one-pin sites or the fixed 3 or 5 pin sites.

I have a moveable 1 pin design. I hunt "The north woods of Minnesota" where deer go where they please when they they please anytime of the day. If I hunted some better farm country where I was hunting fencelines/small woodlots/ect... I would stay with the 1pin. However, after I am in a stand I can usually tell where the majority of my deer traffic is at, sometimes 20yards some times 40yards, I adjust my sight to that range and compensate by holding high or low from there.

I have had deer come in at 45yards and walk down to 10yards before giving me a shot, well thats a lot of compensation in a few seconds. For a few months I have seriously debated about switching back to a multiple fixed pin site with lots of fiberoptics for light gathering. I, however, have no complaints against my moveable pin.

Any suggestions on a sight?
Shooting at last light with a bright site is important to me. I want to see my pins long after I can see the deer. I hate shooting anywhere near the end of shooting light but sometimes the target doesnt always cooperate the way a hunter wants it.

Let me know what you think.

Dean

I would say it is all on what you are comfortable with and used to. I use fixed pins and always have, also fixed blade broadhead. Just can't seem to make a step to change. This set up has worked for me and I don't want to screw anything up (I do that enough on my own
grin.gif
) Good luck to you this year.

big fan of fixed pins. if the deer is at 10 yards, and suddenly bolts to 30, i don't want to be fumbling with sliding my pin.

viper, extreme, copper john, spott hogg, trophy ridge, and many others make great, bright fixed pin sights.

I use an HHA slider and like it. I have one setting that is good from 0-25. From there I can move it for further distances.

How about get the best of both world and get a 3 pin adjustable site. Cobra Archery products makes a 3 pin that is adjustable. This is what I use and absolutely love it. King Cobra 3 is what it is called. Mines set at 20-30-40 yrd pins are fixed then if you want farther you just move it on up and use your 40 yrd pin.

Keystonecountrystore.com sells them if you want to take a peak.

I switched last year from a trophy ridge 5 pin fixed sight to the trophy ridge mantis pendulum which is a moveable fixed pin.Since making the switch my long range shooting has improved due to less pin clutter obstructing the target.With my current setup i am good from 0-30 yards (tad low at 30,tad high at 10) plus the pendulum compensates for treestand height or steep downhill shooting.If you like a bright pin add the optional LED light and be prepared to be amazed at the brightness without the halo effect.The way i see it if an animal is beyond 30 yards, i will be taking my time to range it,adjust the sight and shoot if i feel comfortable with the shot.If 30 yards or closer it works just like a single fixed pin and no thought process needed, just hold dead on and shoot.Although pricey this sight has proven to be toolless to adjust,durable and quiet.

Ditto on the Mantis Pendulum spend a few minutes in the stand marking out a 30 yard circle any thing walks in the circle your ready to shoot. Then if you ground hunt ( or longer shots from stand) you can lock it and adjust as needed...

Mantis

Top Bottom