Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

adjustable or fixed sight

flugge

I just ordered a 2015 Carbon Spyder Turbo... I am planning on going west this fall hunting antelope and possibly mule deer depending on work schedule. What does everyone think would be best. I currently run a fixed 7 pin sight, and while I like it, I feel like at distances adjustable would be better to get the "exact" ranges? Or would it be to much of a hassle in a spot and stalk type situation?? Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be great, thanks!

My opinion would be fixed. Due to the fact of the animal gets up and walks away and stops you don't have to take the time to adjust your sight again.

Adjustable is my opinion. I shoot much better now with my adjustable than I did before. No pin gap shooting and much easier to focus for me.

For out west a fixed pin is better in my opinion especially when stalking. The guys I went antelope hunting with that had an adjustable pin struggled hard. For blind hunting an adjustable wouldn't be bad but when stalking and popping over a hill drawn animals move some from the last time you saw them and there is no time to adjust.

If I go out there again I am going to buy the montana black gold that has 5 pins fixed and then you can adjust it out to like 100 yards therefore it is both fixed and adjustable.

Also when antelope hunting I set my first pin at 30 yards vs 20 like deer hunting. I never have gotten a shot less than 40 yards at them.

Last edited:
For out west a fixed pin is better in my opinion especially when stalking. The guys I went antelope hunting with that had a fixed pin struggled hard. For blind hunting an adjustable wouldn't be bad but when stalking and popping over a hill drawn animals move some from the last time you saw them and there is no time to adjust.

If I go out there again I am going to buy the montana black gold that has 5 pins fixed and then you can adjust it out to like 100 yards therefore it is both fixed and adjustable.

Also when antelope hunting I set my first pin at 30 yards vs 20 like deer hunting. I never have gotten a shot less than 40 yards at them.

What Liv said. Although I haven't antelope hunted, I do primarily spot/stalk and the few times I've been in the mix, an adjustable would have been too much movement at the wrong time and for the same reasons Liv said. Its tough enough to get an accurate range reading with a range finder when you're in the open(ish) and/or have a few sets of eyes staring at you. There are times I'm lucky enough to get an accurate range, which explains a couple of misses! I practice shooting the gaps and its not bad.

Liv is talking about the Black Gold Ascent, which you can dial on out once you're past your last pin. I have the original Black Gold and added a 6th pin to have 20-70 yard pins. I know several guys who use the BG Ascent and its a great rest. I don't know very many out here who use an adjustable. Every discussion I've heard out here doesn't favor them for the reasons above.

Check out the cbe tek hybrid! Same type of sight as mentioned above! I have a 3 pin model! When my dial is on 40 yards I have 20 30 and 40 yard pins! After that its adjustable out to 100 yards using the bottom pin! Really nice sight!

I use a 7 pin now and would never consider a 1 pin adjustable but the new multi pin sites have my attention. Only thing I wonder about is your anchor point when you start adjusting it. If you center the site housing in the peep I'm thinking you would have to adjust your anchor point? Anyone that has one care to comment.

I have been running a spot hogg hog father site the last few yrs and i love the adjustable single pin for treestand hunting here at home and for targets.
If i went out west i would stick a 4 pin head on it 30-40-50-60 and use the bottom or 60 pin as my adjustable pin.
Ive even kicked around running a 20-35 yard pin on it for hunting here but ive never had a bad experience with a movable pin so ill more than likely leave it alone. I know i couldn't do 7 pins without having some sort of issue

Top Bottom