Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on bucks in standing corn?

D

deerman

Theres a half picked corn field with a grassy waterway going through the middle of it.2 times I've seen a nice buck eat grass in the grassy part.What would you do?Try and get him?Someone told me deer can spot you easy in corn.I have thought of getting back in about 5 rows and making a small shooting lane.Its a guttsy call.Would you try it???

Heck yeah, I'd try it. Sometimes, you have to be aggressive. If you can't be creative and figure anything else out, I'd just wait for a day when its really windy and the wind is in your favor and go setup for him. Or, scout if from a distance and when you see him, stalk him on that windy day. The wind should cover any sounds you make and with the corn leaves blowing around, he's less likely to see you.
Desert camo seems to work pretty good in the corn.

The best advice I can give you is to read "Toad's Tricks to Taking Whitetails in the Corn." The book goes into complete depth on how to stalk through corn to harvest whitetails. The author of the book is Toad Smith, an accomplished whitetail bow hunter. The book gives diagrams and pictures on how to walk through the corn. Very interesting and right down your alley.

BT

all sounds like good advise another option that might work if you dont fill you can get close enough setup early near where you think he's feeding and maybe try using a decoy but play the wind and give your self a couple of shooting lanes in the corn but you should make some kind of effort to get him when the corn is gone and the rut is on you might not see him again good luck

Thanks for the encouragement.Has anybody out there ever done anything like this.Many years ago after a 1 inch snow and a little wind I tried the standing corn stalk.I ended up sticking a fox that was bedded in it.It was pretty cool.

According to Toad, the book I was mentioning ,
to successfully find and harvest a whitetail buck in standing corn needs a decent wind. The wind muffles your sound as you slowly walk through the corn. He also advises the reader to be more active in this event. What I mean is that you need to stalk through the corn instead of still hunt. You have to remember one thing, deer feel most comfortable in a bedding area, especially in standing corn. With a mild-strong wind, and patience, that buck your looking for could be within your bow sights.

Wait for a decent wind and go to town. Good luck and remember to be patient.

BT

If your thinking about a stalk find yourself a day when its real windy if its raining even better. Get the wind in your favor and work like a turtle through the field. I always try to cross the rows where there is a plant are two missing, thus creating less noise. Just peek your head through each row before moving on. Hope your farmer has BT corn so its standing sraight and you'll be able to see a good distance. If you take your time and do this right it should work. The biggest trick is to get your bow through the corn to shoot. I've done this once are twice with great luck so give it a try and let us know the results.

Last year my brother took a deer doing exactly what you are mentioning. Get back in 8 or 10 rows and clear a lane and hope for a good wind. Don't just go 1 or 2 rows because he probably will spot you drawing it's just too close. With the rain and snow no way would I try to stalk him in the standing corn, you need a super dry field with a good wind to pull that off I believe. Besides if you bump him out of there you may never see him again. Go get him.
Pupster

I have stalked deer in the corn before.Ill admitt i never killed a big buck doing it but its a good way to fill doe tags.The only problem I can see with trying it is your after one particuliar deer and your bound to run into some deer you aint after before you find him.You get a doe stomping and snorting and hes gonna be on alert.My personal opinion is youd be better off trying to sit still and catch him in the waterway.Wisco kid was right Dessert storm camo seems to blend in real good in the corn, ive had a lotta luck wearing it.All this has been great advice, but heres another trick you might try.Take a small step ladder in with you, then you dont have to actually clear shooting lanes, just bust the tops off some corn and leave the rest of it undisturbed.you can see over the top of it and when he shows up just stand and shoot.Might wanna try this at home first LOL.

Big timber thanks, i never heard of that book but im gonna see if I can find it around here.Sounds like it might be usefull.

Horst, Big Timber is wright. The book by Toad is very interesting. And you just gotta read a book by a hunter named Toad!!
grin.gif
Anyway it got me to try it this year. The neat thing is on very windy days when I don't want to rock in roll I can sneak through the corn. And I like it if I only have time in the middle of the day. I only snuck up on bedded roosters my first time. But as the corn comes out I think that will only concentrate the deer in the remaining fields. I do agree with you about filling a doe tag. The chances of the first deer you come along being a swampous are few. I think this would be an awsome way to take a deer though. Stalking within a few feet!! Priceless!!

Hey deerman
I've hunted standing corn before and it's a tough hunt. But it's very good if the conditions are right. Horst gave some very good advice I think with the step ladder. I have never tried it but a friend told me about it a couple a weeks ago. I thought it was a great idea.

All this talk of standing corn reminds me of a fewcorn hunts in the past. I've had a few of them, but all were with shotguns and I've only taken does.

But about 20 years ago there was a massive snowstorm that hit Wisconsin the last day of the gun season. Many of you may even remember it from the highlights of the Packers-Tampa Bay Buccaneers game at Lambeau that still hit ESPN on occasion. My family had tickets to that game and couldn't make it..we were snowed in! Some fans made it to the game that day on snowmobiles.

Anyway, later in the day, after the Pack had thumped the Bucs, my brother and I were bored. We decided to head out and try and fill one of our either-sex tags on the last day. I grabbed my single shot 16 ga. and he used a single bore 20 ga. and we headed out in the blustery wind. The snow was over our knees in most places, and it was real windy. We walked along an unpicked field and found some pretty fresh tracks leading into the corn. We tracked those two deer and set up on them within 30 yards. We both shot at once, both hitting. My brother was pretty young..maybe 12, 13 back then. The deer was hit but ran off. My gun froze up so I grabbed his and ran down the deer in the deep snow to finish it. We trudged back home to get a snowmobile to get it out. What a fun hunt!

Anyway, the storm was so bad that weekend and the deer kill so low that the DNR extended the gun hunt, if I recall correctly. Many hunters were stranded up north at their camps.

One other cool corn hunt I had was along a drainage ditch. A doe popped out the corn on other side and walked right at me. She stepped into my row so close I had to lean back so I could extend my bow to shoot. All I had to do was get my bow back and I'd have her! Unfortunately, I brushed a weed with my elbow. She heard it and jumped a few rows forward.

About 13 years ago, my family obtained some land in an area with not as much agriculture, and I haven't hunted corn since. However, we just rented out part of our land for next year and the farmer plans to put in 30 acres or so of corn! I can't wait!

Top Bottom