Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on shotgun season

Tomo

Going shotgun hunting for the first time this weekend. There are three of us and we will be sitting in stands. Here is what I have for shooting gear.
Stoeger semi-auto w/modified and waterfowl choke
Remington 870 smooth bore with modified choke
CVA Optima muzz w/ Nikon sight.

Need help with what I should take to the stand. Can I take the CVA and a shotgun?
What should I get for slugs?
Should I pick up a rifled barrel?

Thanks in advance
Tomo

If you're sitting in a stand, the muzzy is the best choice IMHO. If you are like me during shotgun season, you'd want to bring multiple guns for a variety of hunting strategies. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

Yes definitely take both guns. I used to do both when we hunted primarily private ground. Now that we're hunting public ground I only carry my shotgun.

Muzzy all the way. If using shotgun my advice would be to practice on the believed distance you think you will be shooting at with a few boxes as it sounds you may not have used this before?

Muzzleloader for sure. Maximum distance and accuracy. For me anyway. Some people can do some impressive things with a scoped shotgun but I like my muzzleloader. Good luck and be safe!!

I'd say muzzy for dist and accuracy. That being said I've had far more deer run further after the shot using my 45 knight than my rem 12 ga rifled barreled shotgun. Rarely do they go 20yds vs 100 yds + with muzzy. That could all be the impact diff btwn a < 50yd shot vs >100yd shot or the difference in overall bullet damage. I lean toward shotgun in timber stands and muzzy on edges.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Whichever you have the most comfort with, a well placed shot is your goal, above all else. 150 yards in the vitals beats a 12 yard gut shot.

I've shot foster style slugs out of full, modified and improved cylinder choked barrels. My 870 with a modified choke out shot the improved cylinder rifle sighted slug barrel (smooth bore). If you bird hunt better with one of the shotguns, take it as you will be "pointing" instead of "aiming".

In the past, I'd carry the shotgun while walking with a ML slung over my shoulder.

Going shotgun hunting for the first time this weekend. There are three of us and we will be sitting in stands. Here is what I have for shooting gear. Stoeger semi-auto w/modified and waterfowl choke Remington 870 smooth bore with modified choke CVA Optima muzz w/ Nikon sight. Need help with what I should take to the stand. Can I take the CVA and a shotgun? What should I get for slugs? Should I pick up a rifled barrel? Thanks in advance Tomo

Muzzy and an Iowa Hawkeye Football shirt, coat and hat. :)

I would use the muzz myself. This year im taking a savage 220 slug gun, we will see how it goes.

Unless you have some good sites on the shotguns, I'd stick with the ML. I carry several speed loaders with me and you can reload pretty fast, unless you have to swab between shots. I use blackhorn so no need to swab between shots. I even carried my ML during the last couple drives we did and left the shotgun in the truck. We push real slow and being able to shoot further with my ML than shotgun worked out well.

Make sure you go out and sight in to make sure where either gun shoots at several distances. I see too many people just jam slugs in a gun and go hunting - not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with it.

Had a guy in front of me at Walmart a few years back buying one box each of 4 different kinds of slugs from cheap foster slugs to fancy saboted slugs on the Friday night before shot opener. He told the guy at the sporting goods counter he was hunting in the morning and wanted to see which one put deer down the best. No way that went well for him, they will all shoot totally different.

Last edited:
Make sure you go out and sight in to make sure where either gun shoots at several distances. I see too many people just jam slugs in a gun and go hunting - not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with it.

Had a guy in front of me at Walmart a few years back buying one box each of 4 different kinds of slugs from cheap foster slugs to fancy saboted slugs on the Friday night before shot opener. He told the guy at the sporting goods counter he was hunting in the morning and wanted to see which one put deer down the best. No way that went well for him, they will all shoot totally different.

Classic Weekend Warrior!:D

If I was going to be on stand all day I would bring both muzzy and shotgun. If I was doing drives I would only use the shotgun.

Top Bottom