Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on where to sit

sego60

So I have from thursday to a week from monday off of school for thanksgiving break. I am planning on hunting just about every day that I can. I was wondering where the best place to sit this time of year would be. I started out the season in my stand in the timber which is in a funnel between a picked cornfield and a creek. I took a doe in this stand in early october and it kind of fizzled out after that so I moved to my other stand thats in the corner of four fencelines. Theres a hayfield and cornfield to my right and a walnut tree grove and a crp field to my left. I have sat in this stand for weeks now with only two incounters with bucks. One of which was a big ten point i was after that stopped at 25 yards behind a brush pile and never gave me a shot. But last weekend I found an 8 point that someone had poached 20 yards behind this stand. My question is for a big buck this time of year what do you guys think would be the best stand?

Hug those bedding areas, but make sure the wind is in your favor and sit all day, when those bucks are done with one doe they will be cruising those bedding areas for them others.

The bucks bed in both the crp and in the walnut trees. The walnut trees has waist high grass all throughout with a alot of cover. Theres probably 40 of walnut trees with the creekrunning down the middle so there is a lot of cover. So I dont know if the buck are favoring the open crp and fields or the thick timber.

This time of year I like to be near or in the thickest part of the timber with bedding area's as you can. If you are able to walk that creek in and get in quieter and closer, that's what you should try. Later in the year, those trails leading to the food are where you want to be..

I usually walk in on a cattle trail because the cattle keep the leaves crunched down so its pretty much silent walking in.

SCOFFIN said:
This time of year I like to be near or in the thickest part of the timber with bedding area's as you can. If you are able to walk that creek in and get in quieter and closer, that's what you should try. Later in the year, those trails leading to the food are where you want to be..

Same here, I would stay on the thick areas, should be good cruising for bucks.

Top Bottom