Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Aerial Photos/Maps

Scott

A couple of weeks ago a guy named Pete Buckingham posted a link to his GIS mapping company on IW and I took him up on making me a couple. If you have your own farm or hunt a particular area every year these things are a must have. They are basically an aerial photo but also show the 3-D topography of the land which you dont traditionally get with an aerial. I would definitely recommend these things if your interested in really knowing how your spot is laid out. I had two made, one was of the section my farm is in and the other was of the entire surrounding area. I was a little skeptical of how big of an area you could put on one map but with probably 25,000 acres on the map, there is still an incredible amount of detail. The maps I got are laminated 24X36 posters. His service was top notch, I sent him an email and he had them printed and in the mail the same day.

http://www.pbmapping.com/huntingmaps.html

I am in the works of getting some done by him as well. From what I can tell they are top notch!

If you live or hunt in Linn County, you can also go to this site. It has really good detail, you can turn elevation contour lines on, etc. You can also look at different years worth of aerials. Not sure how many other couties have this type of info available or not (I know there is one for Jones county also)... I typically use the 'flex viewer', but the other one has some other types of info availale. It takes a little bit of clicking around to figure out, but is pretty cool! And I believe you can select/download a particular map and then take it to a place like Copy Works and have them print/laminate it.

http://www.linncounty.org/content.asp?Page_Id=580&Dept_Id=6

I'm glad you're happy with the product. Thanks for saying so.

This is a product I put together for my own bow hunting needs and I use them myself.
My product is guaranteed to be as good or better than anything else you can find.

Buckeye is correct, you CAN get excellent aerial photos at the local level and have them printed and laminated. Linn county has excellent local images and I know those guys well. They will however NOT be the same product I'm putting out. Feel free to check with Kinkos or copy works and have them on the price printing a full color "D size" aerial photo, have it laminated and compare to my rates.

Thanks again Scott....my phone is ringing off the hook today. Thanks to all of you who are inquiring as well. This 1 man, map shop appreciates your business.

Good luck on your hunts!

Last edited:
No problem Pete, I appreciate the help. In my case, birds eye images like the ones on bing or high def aerials that you can get on google have never been available for the county my farm is in. Pete was able to make some calls and get newly released images of the county. I dont know what it would cost you to print these maps at a copy store but it was nice to support an Iowa business that treats you like they want your business.

I use the Linn County site all the time. I see they have 2010 out there but at very low resolution. WTF?

I wish there was a state-wide map like the one Linn County uses cause its SWEET!

I do have Kansas, but not 3d.

email the location of your farm and i'll send you a sample of what I have for that area.

Top Bottom