Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

After Rye.

loneranger

I had some spots in Rye last faal. The Rye is now growing high, choking out the new weeds. Will it be a good policy to let the rye be and whip it down end of summer, and then what to plant in it? Braccia of some kind? there was clover there before the rye.

Im no expert but Im in the same boat as you. I have about an acre of rye that is coming back thick. Its only about 1/2tall, but Im going to let it grow tall and mature. Going to mow, disc lightly then reseed rye/oats and a brassica mix.
Wont be much for summer forage for the deer but should be great for the birds and decent cover for the deer.

Dean

No,, all rye last fall. Have to plant something no-till, again this fall. Cut it down,and,or spray it, and scratch something into the dirt again.

Let it mature and go back to seed this summer and then either no-till brassicas into it or broadcast seed just ahead of a good rain.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

So Brassicas can be just scratched in and it will germinate? Prob not do anything to it till late summer for fall. How many times can you plant Rye back to back.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So Brassicas can be just scratched in and it will germinate? Prob not do anything to it till late summer for fall. How many times can you plant Rye back to back.? </div></div>

If conditions are right...yes

Rye can be planted every year but eventually disease problems may be encountered. I always rotate to something else eventually. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom