Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

After yesterday, I am bummed. Deer #'s

IowaChiro

In SW Iowa are way down, from my observations. I got lucky during bow season, harvest a wide old buck, but only saw 3 other shooters. I also saw probably half the number of deer I normally see from my bow stand. Fast forward to yesterday. I was hunting from light til dark, stand hunting in the am til 9, then walking til noon. My hunting buddy and I hit the ridge of timber that usually holds upwards of 40 deer, we saw 10. Moved a mile north, walked my grandpa's..pushed up 6 does..we were going super slow with the wind in our faces...the deer were not skiddish. Then hunted the ground that connects my grandpa's timber with his other timber. All in all saw maybe 40 deer, no shooters. The previous three years would have allowed us to see upwards of 100 deer, and 6 to 10 shooters. It's in an area where we don't allow orange army, other landowners limit access and only shoot mature bucks. I went south in the afternoon, into Taylor county, and while I saw deer, the numbers were down. I did see a 140 inch 10 that I passed on, he was heavy, but slender bodied..young looking..hoping he doesn't get poached. All other SW Iowa hunters, have you had similar findings? Please don't shoot does unless you need the meet, and let's end farm bureau season. If you can't kill a doe with a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader, you have no business shooting a rifle.

Numbers in my area of SE Iowa are down at least 50% over a couple years ago. The Farm Bureau got it's way- and we went over the tipping point when you throw in all the EHD kills. Now, we have to withstand 10 days of guys with rifles in January- and the majority of these guys are not aware that numbers are so low since they don't spend the time in the woods like the members of this site- anything that runs out will be shot at.

The farm bureau doesn't care about guys who love to hunt quality deer. They won't be happy
until there aren't any deer left.

The numbers have been tanking.

Been pretty bummed here all bowseason in southcentral Iowa. I've seen probably half the deer as last year! Time to close the late highpower season!!

I wouldnt be surprised to see the january season go away after this year. We've more than accomplished our goal on deer #'s so we need to back off.

What I've always wondered is why if you purchase a doe tag is it not good for all the seasons? Logically you'd think if they were wanting to manage doe numbers, you could use the tag for any season?

By forcing you to purchase a different tag for each season, it's more money for the state.

The EHD issue definately had an affect, #'s are definately down. Still seeing groups of 30+ now that they are bunching up though. If 10 of them have twins, and 10 have singles, that would still almost double the population in 1 yr.

Doe to Buck ratio is weird here...about 12 does to 1 buck this year, going to be killing a few does this year.

EDIT: Doe numbers are up and buck numbers are down here.

I know for a fact that deer #s are down in Woodbury county. This year I had trail cam pics of not more than 10 deer. 5 of them were the same deer all season, and only 1 buck mature enough to harvest (which someone did get during gun season). I went to eastern Iowa to hunt 2nd gun season w/ my ML sitting in a tree all day, no drives. I was there 3 days. I saw more deer in the 1st 4 hours over east than I've seen in the past 3 years all together in Woodbury co. I counted about an even split for the buck to doe ratio & saw around 60 deer every morning by 11 am. I have come to realize that there is absolutely NO reason for Woodbury to have an extra 2500 tags. There may be good #s in pockets here & there but overall we have overharvested.

numbers in union county are scary. walked until 1 today and i saw more pheasants than deer.....8 cocks 5 deer...

Doe to Buck ratio is weird here...about 12 does to 1 buck this year, going to be killing a few does this year.

EDIT: Doe numbers are up and buck numbers are down here.

Hey kid...I hunt the same areas..deer numbers are down, and I have confirmed 2 shed bucks..with one getting killed...Please..for the love of God..don't do that retarded rifle season. By all means, if you are going to need meat...kill it with a muzzleloader..or at least within 50 yards..making sure..damn sure it's not a shed buck. Last year some dumbass shot a "giant doe", which was probably one of my big boys on camera last year.

Montgomery County- numbers were way down where I was hunting. Not filling anymore doe tags down there. Buck numbers were "up" I think because does have been hammered so hard, bucks were moving alot further.

Decataur County- Numbers were very low, with a few weekends of not seeing anything...

Lucas County- Numbers low, saw 2 deer in 5 days of hunting...

Mitchell County- Deer numbers low where the old shotgun group hunts, shot little bucks to save does..

Cerro Gordo county- deer numbers about normal, but on a river bottom that only gets trophy hunted for about a 5 mile stretch..

Mitchell County- Deer numbers low where the old shotgun group hunts, shot little bucks to save does..
This year the old shotgun group wonders what happened to all the does and next year will wonder what happened to all the bucks. Really...when it comes to this, it's time to eat tags.

So if the guys want deer meat, what should they do? Not like the deer were getting shot and donated, all of the deer they killed went into the freezers...

I would relocate for a few years. Think about it...next year you will only have does and buttons to shoot. That is a wicked downward spiral.

This year the old shotgun group wonders what happened to all the does and next year will wonder what happened to all the bucks. Really...when it comes to this, it's time to eat tags.
This is the answer, and to answer Flugge, well, sometimes store bought meat suffices.

Not to start a war with you guys on this topic, as trust me, I understand exactly what you guys are saying. Some of the guys cant afford meat from the stores all year, is why they shoot deer. And relocating in this area is next to impossible from the orange armys everywhere. But trust me, yes, I understand exactly where you guys are coming from... I have hunted across the state and just figured I would give the numbers I saw, not get into an in depth convo on it really...

Montgomery County- numbers were way down where I was hunting. Not filling anymore doe tags down there. Buck numbers were "up" I think because does have been hammered so hard, bucks were moving alot further.

Decataur County- Numbers were very low, with a few weekends of not seeing anything...

Lucas County- Numbers low, saw 2 deer in 5 days of hunting...

Cerro Gordo county- deer numbers about normal, but on a river bottom that only gets trophy hunted for about a 5 mile stretch..

You must be hunting the pasture in Montgomery, because where I hunt I saw WAY too many does.

Top Bottom