Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Afternoon action

Limb Chicken

Well after several mishaps during the morning some could have been helped some could not. Weasel and I were about to go crappie fishing when we decided to try a field that he had seen some birds in the previous morning. After securing permission we headed out and got set up about 1 pm. Dripping sweat with not a lot of confidence we proceeded to hammer on some deer sticks and mustard and diet mountain dew which was followed by a nap. Weasel woke up long enough to tell me to call and was back to snoring before I finished a series of louder calling due to the windy conditions. This continued (his sleeping and my sporadic calling) through the afternoon. Weasel finally woke up from his hibernation and said "give me that call this is how it is done". After a sqauk, he finally managed a series of soft yelps and clucks. I rolled my eyes and he said "this is what they like to hear". Good Lord. He no more that made another cluck and was interrupted by a thunderous gobble about 50 yards away around a corner. Both of us looked at each other in shock. Rushed around to get ready and try to call at the same time. Finally the bow was in hand and the camera was ready.
grin.gif
Another soft call and he had closed the distance. I could now see him coming around the corner. Strutting and moving closer to our spread. He got to about 15 yards and wasn't sure he wanted any of the Pretty boy and started to skirt the spread. Scott was telling me he couldn't see him due to a tree right next to the blind. I wanted to wait to see if we could get some more video and the shot but the bird was getting nervous and now at 25 yards. So I dropped the hammer. He ran off and all I could see was blood pumping out of his side... then the wobbles and soon with a wave of his wing it was over. Looked at the watch and it was 3:10. It is just crazy what can happen in such a short time.

.5 and .5

26DSC00460.JPG

Sweet Limb, looks like things went pretty well.....
although i cant say i like your hat....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Just proves you can't kill em if you are not out there, you also have to tell em what they want to hear.

I love huntin in the afternoons, you have time to sleep over your hangover, and can usually get one fired up.

Way to go Limb... glad your able to hold up team Chicken Husker
wedgie.gif
.... I get to finally hunt on Wednesday. With a little luck and an ugly gobbler I'll pull my share...
smirk.gif

Top Bottom