Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Age this buck

OneCam

I'm curious as to what you guys think this buck's age is? Let us know your guesses and the reasons why.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

slender body, long legs.... I would say either a good 2.5 year old or a average 3 year old. Is this a test :grin:

Maybe it is just the angles.... but I think that buck is past his prime and is on the downhill side.... hard to imagine in the wild he could be over 7.5 yrs though.... that 'camel' neck along with poor muscle tone makes me think he is much older than he appears in that first photo....

Even though he has a ragged coat and wispy muscle tone, I think he is young. An old deer has a foot pad that is worn down, making it walk more on its 'heel'. He appears to be standing on young feet.

Im no good at this aging deer game on summertime deer.... to me his body looks young but his snout and eyes look old.

Looks like an old fart to me. His posture make him look like he may struggle with movement. poor mussle structure, the camel head.

Let us know how silly we all sound! :)

3 1/2 yr old rack on a 9 yr old body.Sucked down old cow look ? Would think rack would have some odd points?Might be older than 7? Maybe 8 or 9 ??

Good post Chris! I almost hate to guess as for me it's hard unless I know the animal. he has many features that make me think young, but he also appears old and worn out in some ways as well.

I want to lean towards a young deer b/c in my experience old deer usually have legs that appear "stumpy", this guy looks all legs. I'll say anywhere b/w 2.5 and 10.5!!!

Thanks for everyone's imput ... This buck suprised me as I assumed last year he was 2.5 - 3.5

Here's a pic from last year.
picture.php

Aging deer this time of year is extremely tough - I've learned a few tips from your replies :way:

Top Bottom