Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ageing from lower jaw.

James

20161224_092940.jpg
gjD9R
Jaw bone
gjD9R

I was hoping that someone could help me to age this deer I found dead. I will post photos of the deer after I get an age estimate but as of now I would like to see what people think just using the jaw bone.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Last edited:
QDMA has a pretty good poster for jaw bone aging. I'm not sure if you can find it on the internet or if it is a purchase item.

Added the photo correctly sorry. I have a guess based on the jawbone aging info that I have found. I was just hoping to confirm my thoughts from someone who perhaps has better experience than me.

Not many real experts on that type of deer aging as most expert game managers/biologists agree that aging deer by the wear on the back teeth of the lower jaw is not at all precise. Too many variables that affect tooth wear to use it as a reliable aging tool.

there are two companies that age by the incisor. They say they are near 90% accurate. But you pay around 75$

I received a text that the results came in for my deer last year (Patches) Matsons said he was 4 1/2 years old with the highest accuracy rating. I really thought he was 5 years old.
When my friend last year was getting his teeth ready a customer bought in a 180 plus late muzzy deer and wanted his deer aged. His results were also 4 years old. We were guessing him at 6 years old. He had 6 inch plus bases 25 inch beams just a brute of a deer.
I will keep on sending teeth in to get aged cause I find it very interesting and my thought process on aging deer goes right out the window:confused:

"I will keep on sending teeth in to get aged cause I find it very interesting and my thought process on aging deer goes right out the window:confused:" Amen! ;)

I will admit that my pride was hurt this morning when I received the text:D
I've only sent teeth in for two years now. My 2014 buck grossed 148 I guessed him at 3 years old but the results said 4 years. This years buck I'm trying to rethink my age guess of him. I have a few months to think about it.
I guess that its safe to say its hard to argue with science and its all about genetics.

I had a buck aged by the front teeth professionally, oldest buck yet at 6 yrs. Antlers you might say 4 so you just cant say.

I'm by no means an expert and have been trying to get better at aging but based on the one pic I can see the deer is at least 3.5. Maybe 4.5 but my guess would be 3.5 based on the dentin wear of the 4th molar.

QDMA has a video on youtube that is worth looking at. They are saying lower jaw is only good to about 6 1/2. After that anybodies guess.

We have sent over 20 to deer age.com over the years. The results have matched up perfectly with the deer we have a long history with. I have shot 2 bucks 7 yrs old and several 6 yr old bucks. Iv'e learned you can't judge a bucks age by the rack size alone as a lot of old deer have below average rack size.

Top Bottom