Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Aging Deer

Looks good to me! I have two deer that I want to get aged that I shot this year. How do you know which tooth tho pull?

Sounds interesting. Be sure to post your results when you get them back. I wonder if it's something a guy could do himself? If you knew what the aging criteria was - one growth ring for every year? one dark and one light ring like trees? I don't know... It talks about using weak acid to soften the teeth - vinegar? Coke? You can get sulfuric acid from most hide tannning supply company's, oxalic acid at the hardware store. If you didn't have a microscope at home,any high school science room would have one they'd probably let you use. Might be something to try...

i believe you would want to pull the front teeth on the lower jaws.

to age deer by looking at them you must look at several things. # of teeth, wear, plaque build up, etc. also, you always look at the teeth on the lower jaws.

a yearling deer will only have 5 teeth

a 1 1/2 year old deer the 2nd tooth from the front on the bottom jaw will be a tricuspid, 3 parts, rather than a bicuspid, 2 parts. sometimes it will appear to be busted or halfway in also.

from here it gets tricky. always look at lower jaws

2 1/2 generally have no plaque build up and their molars are sharp to the touch and there is a distinct difference in the height of the crowns on either side of the teech. the crowns closer to the tongue will be much higher.

3 1/2 gets mild plaque bild up and the teeth begin to wear down slightly

4 1/2 have fairly heavy build up and the ridges on the crowns begin to become level with each other

5 1/2 + are VERY difficult to tell as they all tend to look the same. here it is easiest to send the front teeth from the lower jaw in and have them cut cross sections and look at them. you must also take into consideration where you are geographically speaking. if the area you'er in has high sand content in the soil then you're naturally going to get more tooth wear. the opposite can be said about areas where the soil is softer.

another thing to help age is to look at body size, length, hoof size, hair color, head length, etc. these things can help out but do not give accurate aging without looking at the teeth. i've seen bucks that are in the 140 range and absolutely massive but only be 2 1/2 years old when you look at their teeth.
hope this helps.

The company wants the two front teeth fom the from the bottom jaw. They slice them very thin and count the rings. They sample must be transparent.

Top Bottom