Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

air seeding

bbdjunkie02

Is anyone out there air seeding turnips or radishes in between bean rows to establish a winter food source?? Have heard of guys doing this when they have limited food or a farmer who will not cooperate with food source issues. What seed blends are you using and what are the results??

Keep in mind that if you do this you are using the farmers inputs. Get permission, most farmer could care less. The truth is your seed will benefit from his fertilizer inputs. I have done this with pretty good success in corn along heavily browsed edges. If you see a spot with the canopy browsed away your seed will flourish. Great practice and one every manager should be looking for.<O:p</O:p

Ironwood, is there any cost/benefit between the beans and turnips? I guess this sounds awesome if you say most farmers could care less. I'd love to do it since I don't own/lease any land. Just would like to know the facts before I brought it up anywhere...

I'm a farmer AND a food plot planter. Broadcasting turnips, radishes, and rape in standing beans works beautifully. However, I've only done it in a food plot and not my field beans. I'll give a farmers' perspective here. If you seed stuff in the middle of a bean field and it grows like you want it to, when the combine hits that stuff, it's going to put a whole bunch of wet, green stuff thru the combine with the dry beans, NOT GOOD. I could see a farmer getting very pizzed off. A little along a field edge probably won't hurt but an acre of it in the middle of an otherwise dry crop of soybeans may send you looking for a new place to hunt. BE CAREFUL!!

Like ironwood said, a browsed area in a corn field would be no big deal, since a cornhead won't cutoff the greenery and send it thru the combine.

Top Bottom