Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ALAN

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
The big day has come,,,,,, come on tell us how it went and what you thought? Hope it was everything you wanted and more!!

wow!!! is abotu what sums it up...what a weekend i had for my first ever shotgun deer hunt..i must say i found me one heck of a nice group of guys to hunt with..they showed me what rubs looked like etc... they taught me told me stuff i didnt even know..i just got home to fort dodge from des moines and i talked to kim all about the hunt from the weekend..it all started on friday nite in des moines at my groups house we all meet just to discuss the plan of attack on how we was gonna hunt where each hunter (5 of us) would be at we all switched stands off and on through out the day..then saturday came 5:00 go to there house pick them all up head to woods arrive at 5:45 everyoine talks about stand locations etc....we break up and everyone goes to there stands.we are all in stands by 6:00.at 7:30 this 16 year old zach shopt a nice little 4 pointer from his stand at 7:30..we all saw deer but the weather kind of screwed us (wind was a big factor) saw lots of deer but out of range with shotgun atleast 200 yards if not more...only deer that was shot sat.. sunday (brrrrrr its freezing cold) arrived in timber at 6:00 sat in treestands till 9:30 everyone got down freezing cold went to caseys and got coffee and to get warmed up..back to timber we go at 10:00 hunted till 1:30 no deer signs anywhere.. i had to get back to pick kim up and go home and one hunter had to drive 3 hours to get back to college so me and him left..right after we left 2 hunters remain one guy shot 2 deer plus saw a nice 10 point an 8 point a 6 point and about 25 doe right in front of his stand and right after we left...all in all i had a really fun time..i enjoyed myself to the fulllest..it was an awesome hunt these guys were awesome to hunt with.and im welcomed back to there group anytime i want i told them ill start deer hunting with your group..this will be a deer ill never forget it was soo much fun..yeah ok so i didnt get my deer but atleast i saw deer it would of been diff if i didnt even see any..after the hunt i meet with a good friends of kims she has a gun shes wants to sell so you guessed it i brought itSmile soon ill have 2 guns a deer gun and a gun just for pheasants and rabbits etc....oh i must not forget my bow i just brought also kims not happy with me about buying this other gun..ill just pay for it and she wont have to worry about it...

it was fun i had a blast.. one kid in group shot a deer in hmmmm ok should i say where he shot it at? his first deer a little 4 pointer 15 yards from his stand shot it in the eye.....lmao no kidding guys everyone made fun of him all day it was soo much fun...

it was more than what i expected..they made it so much fun for my first hunt.ill be back with many more enjoyable hunts with them...

Addicting, isn't it Alan!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Addicting, isn't it Alan!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh boy its addicting and fun i really enjoyed myself even thou i didnt get a deer but hey it was my first year you cant expect one on your first year im sure some of you did get one on your first year...my look on it is this..i didnt get one this year ive got next year the year after that and the next 99.99 years to follow to get me a deer..a new deer huhnter has joined the many other deer hunters of iowa.:) thanks for having this great site you guys are soo good answering all my many 1000 questions..lol i think i did learn alot from this site or atleast you guys helping me..

You still have a chance this year. Try the January antlerless and hunt evenings on a cornfield or foodplot very good chance of bagging a doe!

There is plenty of state land around with good doe populations, for that matter most hunters and farmers would not mind you harvesting a doe and leave the bucks to grow for next year.

[ QUOTE ]
You still have a chance this year. Try the January antlerless and hunt evenings on a cornfield or foodplot very good chance of bagging a doe!

There is plenty of state land around with good doe populations, for that matter most hunters and farmers would not mind you harvesting a doe and leave the bucks to grow for next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this that special hunt where some counties get so many doe tags??if it is i allready tryed to get it for warren county but they was sold out then i tryed polk and they was also sold out..this tag was 12.00 right??

They are for sale until that counties quota is filled (page 24 of hunting regulations book).

I'm sure many on here know where you could kill a doe if your willing to drive. I know Guthrie has over 2000 left as of last Friday I just bought one there is some good state land there. I suggest if you dont have one already to pick up the Iowa sportsmans atlas, or Iowa Atlas and Gazetteer. They both show public hunting area's and back roads to get to them, take a half day swing by one and have a walk around. I usually print out an arial photo of the area and as I walk take notes on that sheet. Where I found rubs, scrapes, heavily used doe trails, buck rublines, good stand locations, good ground blind areas, crossings,bedding, food source, water holes, funnels etc. Even find the occasional shed or dead buck while I am at it.

Just to the east of Fort Dodge where the Iowa river crosses I-35 has some great habitat and alot of public hunting. I see a lot of deer in that area late season. I have dropped in there a few times as I drove by just to look around. I think those are Wright county on west of I-35, Franklin on the east.

I live in Marion Co. if there are any left I'd be happy to show you some good doe spots on public land.

[ QUOTE ]

it was fun i had a blast.. one kid in group shot a deer in hmmmm ok should i say where he shot it at? his first deer a little 4 pointer 15 yards from his stand shot it in the eye.....lmao no kidding guys everyone made fun of him all day it was soo much fun...

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly busted a gut on that. Shot him in the eye. Struck my funny bone. I could about imagine the crap he took that day.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly busted a gut on that. Shot him in the eye. Struck my funny bone. I could about imagine the crap he took that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man he caught alot of crap on that one..he said he was aiming for the heart lung area but missed and shot him in eye..

Top Bottom