Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa

Keef

I have a 3 acre field that was in soybeans this year. I'd like to plant it in alfalfa next year. I planted RR alfalfa on my old farm and liked the results.

I planted the alfalfa in the fall and got good results, but would like to plant it this spring so it will be growing well by fall. I thought I'd plant it with oats. I understand weeds could be a problem. Can you tell me your results if you planted in the spring?

Also, RR alfalfa is expensive I was thinking about a non-RR variety. Has anyone gone this route? Any problems?

Haven't done a soil test yet but I add 3 tons of lime this summer so I'm hoping the PH is ok.

Thanks for any feedback.

There is a chance that you could have a weed issue, depending on when you can get in and work the ground. I would suggest prepping a good seed bed and planting the alfalfa and oat cover crop quickly in the spring, hoping that the oats take off and establish a stand before the weeds get a chance too compete. If we have a drawn out spring due to weather, your best bet might be to wait a little bit and wipe out the the wave of weeds that emerge by prepping the seed bed later in the spring (mid-May to late-May time frame). Keep in mind that you can spray glyphosate for a burn down up to 10 days before planting to knock out weeds that have established.

Either way, getting it planted in the fall is ideal, but it can still be done in the spring. A lot of the success is going to depend on when you can get in and work the ground weather permitting.

As far as RR varieties, they are more relevant if you are concerned about feed value (for dairy cattle for example), but if you are not concerned about feed value then you do not need to worry as much. Deer will eat grass that will establish along with dandelion and other broad leaf weeds. We raise beef cattle and have one field of RR alfalfa. We got the seed for a trial test and to be honest we have never sprayed it with RoundUp. The oats cover crop and alfalfa established well (spring time plant actually) and in our mind, we want the tonnage as compared to the high quality alfalfa feed for our beef herd so we never sprayed to kill the little grass that has grown.

Hope this helps some and good luck.

I believe there is a statute against planting RR for wildlife foodplots. Doesn't sound like you are going that route anyway but just a heads up. Not real sure how the company would find that out anyway.

Seed bed is critical for alfalfa and planting correctly, far more so than clover BUT, it sounds like you've done it and know the ropes. Alfalfa is by far a more difficult legume to establish than others & seed bed is more fussy, again, sounds like you have the experience though. If you go conventional, ya, I mean, spring can be fine, I'd likely add some oats & either plant into a clean/ready seed bed or, like above, wait for big flush of weeds, blast with round-up and plant (can do immediately). If it's round-up ready, that is a nice advantage, you can continually hit back weeds.
Side notes.... I'd add your P&K as soon as possible so it can break down over the winter. I'd also look into adding Boron if you want to get a little fussy. Your soil tests will of course tell you a lot & likely some micro-nutrients like Boron will help especially alfalfa. Make sure you have it baled correctly (not mowed with junk on top) and keep up on P&K at high levels (Alfalfa or hay is one of the hardest puller of P&K of all crops, it takes a lot out of the ground and you need to replenish). As long as you know how to plant, seed bed prep, fertilize & lime right, should be in good shape. Pray for no drought or floods too when it's getting established in spring ;)

We plant all our alfalfa in the spring each year. It isn't really that complex. RR is overrated, if you take 3 cuttings as new seeding and 4 the years after you really will only have weeds in first crop for the most part, a few in second but not enough to loose sleep over. The key is cutting each crop on time and the stand will choke out the weeds on its own. If you want to spend the money we use only hybrid alfalfa. Head and shoulders above anything conventional.

Top Bottom