Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All Day Sits

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
Lets start the yearly thread :)

When will you start sitting all day? Do any of you strictly go out for the midday sit? When will you start that?

On what dates have you been successful midday?

Weather pending anytime from Oct 28th and beyond. If the temps are still warm at the end of Oct I will probly wait to sit all day until Nov 1. Just had too many pics of bucks running all day those last few days of October last year.

As for best midday movement..,around the full moon will be very good. Which happens to be on Nov 7 this year. I feel that is a special day in the woods (also happens to be mom's bday).

Last edited:
Sweet november for me. All the way through thanksgiving could produce a giant roaming so the best bet is to get as much stand time as you can. My two bow bucks the last 3 years: 1 was harvested at 11 am on november 17th and the other was harvested at 10:30 on november 10th

Around Halloween.

More serious yet around the 4th of Nov

^^ That describes me pretty well too. One other angle...if there is a super bright moon overnight during prime rut days then I may sleep in a bit, go out around 9:30A and sit until dark. So not quite an all day sit, but I have had many early mornings following a full moon that were pretty slow, especially when temps are a little warmer than normal and/or there is an east wind.

It seems though that mid-to-late morning action though on those types of days is worth the time in the stand.

If it is cold though and we are in the prime November dates...I am out there early whether the moon was out or not.

If I get in the stand any time between Nov 4th and Nov 16th where the wind will be staying favorable to the stand, I will be sitting all day. The past 3 years I have seen more buck movement between 11am and 2pm of my all day sits than I have in the early morning or evening. Shot my buck 2 years ago at 1230. Passed up numerous borderline shooters (and one I'm still kicking myself for not shooting) last year in that 3 hour window. If the wind switches, I will get down and go to a different stand immediately, but I've had pretty good luck lately with wind staying favorable so I haven't had to move around much.

Be sure to wear your harness (especially in case you fall asleep between 2 and 4, but you should be wearing it all the time anyway), pack plenty to drink, and plenty of leftover Halloween candy. :)

After I get over candy coma from Halloween (nov 1 and after) I'm in the stand all day when I go out Definitely won't miss middays movement in nov

My plan was starting Halloween day... however after I had a bunch of trespassing issues, deer are pretty scare on the farm at the moment... I am going to monitor cameras for the next week and decide if it will be worth it or not

I've yet to sit all day but I will sit from 830-dark. Last year I killed my buck at 11 AM and I was planning to get down at 3. Prior to that I hadnt sat mid day.

I will starting sitting mornings this Friday. Won't probably start sitting all day until Nov. 1st.

Even then, I don't know how many of you have stands that sit up well for "all day" sits, but the majority of my stands sit up well for a north wind in the morning and maybe a south wind in the evening. For that reason, I may get up and move to a different stand location. Only a couple spots do I really feel comfortable sitting all day without wind maybe being an issue.

I very seldom stay in the same tree all day unless movement is good! 11:00 AM Lone Wolf and I are headed to another tree.

Top Bottom