Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All Night

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I have wondered this for awhile and have even considered doing this myself. Has anyone every hunted and afternoon/evening and then just stayed in their treestand or groundblind all night and hunt the morning? There would be no issue of spooking deer on the way in or out and if your in an area that seems like dynamite it seems like a good idea. I know last year a few time I was hunting out of my ground blind and there was action everywhere and I was tempted to just stay put all night and sleep a little on the ground in my blind. It was during the rut and right in a real nice funnel and there was deer coming through in both directions all the time. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Not personnaly. The only thing that comes to mind is a story I read about a guy that watched a buck all summer and new exactly where he was bedding, supposebly everyday. I guess the deer was bedded down before sunlight every morning so the guy found a double tree and hung two stands at night that he could sleep in.

He got in at 3am and shot the buck opening morning in his bed.

Sleeping overnight in some sort of enclosed blind? A bit over-the-top, but I could see the rationale.

Sleeping overnight in a treestand? Not a buck out there big enough worth taking that risk. JMHO...

NWBuck

I did it quite a bit hunting black bears over bait in Alaska when I lived there...but it was May, and night time was only like 4 hours long. Plus the stand we built was gigantic...2 of us could sleep in sleeping bags on the floor of it so that helped. :D

I'd say you'd be classified as seriously hardcore if you could stay on stand for what would be close to what...16 hours?? if you hunted the evening prior, stayed the night, and then the next morning too. Ground blind might be easier if you could stretch out.

Could be issues with scent. Wind usually diminishes at night, possibly calm. All those hrs, and your scent would be pooling all around.

I've thought about attempting this myself at times. However. I'm a light sleeper and any little noise would wake me up. I would only attempt this in a ground blind. I agree with Ranger on the scent build -up around your area.

I listened to a regionally well known archer describe what he did to be in the right place to shoot his buck of a lifetime a few years ago and it involved some creative sleeping, although not in his stand.

My recollection is that he knew he could not safely approach his stand at the "normal" time in the morning without busting deer, so he went in way early, I think like 2:00A or 3:00A and then slept on the ground somewhere near his stand until say an hour before sunrise. Then he got up and went to his stand and prepared for the deer to return to this area.

He shot a whopper of a buck that morning.

We built a huge shooting shack this summer so when when mama kicks me out of the house for hunting to much. That's where I'll be.:D

Seriously though I'd like to sleep in it once on a well lit night and just watch and listen to what goes on.

It seems like years ago a magazine had an article in in about a guy that would get to his stand about 2 am and shoot a buck as he made his way into the bedding area at first light.

The more I think about it, the more comes back. It seems like it was Andre (Lone Wolf Guy) that the article was about. It was like 10 years ago, so I could be way off base...

Waukon1- Im with you! Thinking he's not married with kids;)

"There would be no issue of spooking deer on the way in or out and if your in an area that seems like dynamite it seems like a good idea."

The way I snore I am better off walking into my stand in the AM. :D

I listened to a regionally well known archer describe what he did to be in the right place to shoot his buck of a lifetime a few years ago and it involved some creative sleeping, although not in his stand.

My recollection is that he knew he could not safely approach his stand at the "normal" time in the morning without busting deer, so he went in way early, I think like 2:00A or 3:00A and then slept on the ground somewhere near his stand until say an hour before sunrise. Then he got up and went to his stand and prepared for the deer to return to this area.

He shot a whopper of a buck that morning.

That would be.......Larry????

I was wondering the same thing the other morning hunting out of my dark horse. I busted a bunch of deer walking in to a new area. I think a guy could lay down and sinch up the windows to avoid spreading too much scent like some have suggested. Someday I'll try it...

When I was in Wyoming antelope hunting there was a guy from Iowa there that stayed in his blind for 5 days and 5 nights.Never came back to the camp till he had shot an antelope.
Years ago,I used to work 2nd shift.I would get off work at midnight.Home was 25 miles west and my hunting spot was 25 miles east of where I worked so a lot of nights I would just drive to my hunting spot and park the truck and sleep a while.One night it was full moon so i decided to go right to my stand just to see what happens during the night.I got to my stand around 1:30am.By shooting time I had seen around 20 deer.Between then and 10am I didn't see a thing.

I actually know of someone who killed a 170 doing exactly that a couple years ago. He went in in the afternoon and he knew he would not be able to come back and get in the stand without spooking the buck so he took a ratchet strap and fasted himself in the tree so he could sleep. 16 hours from the time he got in the stand he killed the 170. He says it was definitely worth it.

I agree with if I had a nice shack that you could button up, especially and elevated tower blind I would love to try it. I have thought about that myself but don't have such a blind set up...The other ideas sound good as well, I will keep those in mind if I see a big one in a bedding area...

Top Bottom