Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Allison's Quest for a Tom

bowman

Super Moderator
This is a story of faith, blessings, and a remarkable little girl. Four years ago Allison somehow contracted Ecoli 0157-H7 which caused another syndrome (HUS) that attacked her blood cells and caused her kidneys to shut down. She spent several weeks in intensive care, hooked up to a dialysis machine, flushing the toxins for her kidneys, each day bringing more bad news. Just when we were being told that we were reaching a very vital situation (telling us the mortality rates) her health turned on a dime and her kidneys began to function on their own. We were home within days and thanking God for his healing powers. Since that time Allison has grown into a wonderful child of faith and it is noticed by all who get to meet her. Each year her teachers tell us of a perfectly behaved student that takes time to play with the mentally handicapped children and other needy children at recess which in turn causes other kids to do the same. Things like that make parents very proud and are things that show true character, not things that can be taught. Just this past week she invited a boy from her school to come to Church with us. He has no friends at school, gets picked on, and has behavioral issues. He came to church and on the way home he told us how Allison was different than all the other kids at school because she is nice to him. Once again…. proud parents.

Ok, the hunt………After some hard, but unsuccessful hunts during the youth season, Allison was begging me to buy her another tag. We chose a spot that seems to be a hub where the turkeys eventually come, but rarely roost. It consists of two intersecting creek lines that connect larger timbers on all ends with fields on all four quadrants. We walked in the bright moonlight, used the flashlight to find our way through the creek, slid down the bank, splashed in the water, and make way too much noise. We climbed the other bank and crossed a fence that creaked terribly as we pushed it down for her to cross. Then we headed out into the field walking through noisy reeds until we reached our spot in the bean field. We set up approximately 65 yards from the creek, set the decoys in the moonlight (so bright we could see our shadows) and popped up the blind. Less than fifteen minutes later a gobble nearly shook us out of our chairs. The tom was roosted in the very tree that I put my hand against as we crossed the fence. He continued to gobble at the sound of other toms gobbling in the distance. I told Allison that the tom knew we were here and would not come in. I explained that he had watched us walk in lit by the moon, he had watched our flashlight as we walked under him, and he had heard us talking as I gave her directions on how to get across the squeaky fence.

He gobbled for the next 20 minutes and I reminded her that there was no way that he would come in, not wanting her to be disappointed when he flew away. I told her of how many times this very thing had happened to me in the past and that the toms will gobble, but then pitch down in the other direction. Allison calmly told me that she had been praying and that she thought he was going to come in. I softly clucked and purred, two times a few minutes apart. A few minutes later he flew down into our field landing about 90 yards away. I turned on the camera and told Allison that he would likely walk away. She grabbed her shooting sticks and gun, still confident that he would come. With the camera rolling, the big tom began his walk directly to us, jogging for the last 20 yards. He bumped the B-Mobile at 8 yards. As he walked around to do it again she let him have it. He dropped, and I had one elated 11 year old girl. Bird down at 5:59 am!:way:

We later found that he had impressive measurements. 25 lbs, 10 ¾” beard, and 1 3/16” spurs!

1040-allison_t5.jpg

When I told her that he was a limb hanger, she gave me a puzzled look. So, we walked to a perfect branch less than 5 yards away and I showed her what a limb hanger was.

1040-allison_t2.jpg

1040-allison_t3.jpg

Once she had him tagged we climbed back in the blind as there was another bird gobbling and she wanted me to try for him with my bow. To make a long story a little shorter (not much), 3 hours later Allison’s big tom was the only one we had to show for our efforts.

Taking the kids is fun, but a lot of work. Calls, tripod, shooting sticks, video cam, digital camera, food, water, range finder, decoys, and extra clothes, all strapped to one pack and then strapped to one Daddy equals a week long lasting back ache! Allison took this photo once we were loaded up. I weighed the pack once we got home at 59lbs! The reason I included this photo is that the trunk of the tree that the tom was roosted in can be seen to the left of my face. The opening that shows the tree trunks is the very opening that we walked through on our way in.

1040-allison_t4.jpg

Sorry for the long story but Daddies only get the chance to brag on their kids every once in a while.

I have a bow tag but I’m totally satisfied with our 2010 turkey season with both Trenton and Allison scoring on big birds. Now I’ll have more time for this!

1040-boys_1.jpg

Take a kid hunting, you’ll never regret it!

Your phone call was the absolute best way to start my morning today, Wayne! I was honestly tingling listening and picturing it all! That was an amazing story and I'm so proud of Allison and Trenton even though I've yet to meet them (can't wait, though)! I'll be looking at those pics all this coming week in my hotel room, pulling inspiration to get through these next few meetings and couple of weeks. Next year, their tags are definitely on me!! :way:

Congrats Allison! Wayne, you are a great representative of what we all should be congrats doesn't say enough! :way:

That is one of the best stories I've read on here in a long time, Wayne! Congratulations to Allison on her bird and congratulations to you on being such a wonderful father! Your kids have obviously learned by example. :way:

-Longspurs-

That is one of the best stories I've read on here in a long time, Wayne! Congratulations to Allison on her bird and congratulations to you on being such a wonderful father! Your kids have obviously learned by example. :way:

-Longspurs-

Exactly!! Great story, you have much to be thankful for with your kids! :way:

wayne,
congrats on your hunt with your daughter , and your sucesses she has overcome. She is a true inspiration to others who are battling illnesses of their own which offer hope to others to keep the faith and live each day. Your allison seems to me a true gift from god that is making a positive difference in other peoples lives as well-- true angel.im so glad she is doing well, and got HER tom!often, we all take our health for granted, i will share your story with others, to let them know. sometimes we feel we can get up and go and hunt when we see fit, and complain when we dont get our game, heres a little girl that lived to hunt regaurdless if she got her bird, the bottom line is, we can not take oppurtunities for granted.From now on, just getting to go will be rewarding enough!Thank you Allison for making a positive difference in my life, and kicking me back into play.
Respectfully, I bowbigbucks

Top Bottom