Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Almost finished........

Critter

Life Member
We ended up purchasing a blind from Lick Creek this spring and decided to elevate it instead of placing it on the ground. It took a little work, and a few nail biting moments, but we managed to set it up 12' on the base we created. For those of you who have never been inside one of these blinds, they are really nice and should outlast my lifetime barring any tornado that decides to come through the area.;) I've still got to build the ladder and darken the supports, but other than that it's ready for ML season.:way:
DSC01021.jpg
[/IMG]

We purchased 3 4'x6' Lick Creek blinds over a year ago and they are SWEET! I was surprised by the scent control they had, we had a few times deer snuck in down wind and get to 40yds. With the windows all up...sometimes even just having one down the air flow through there was practically none and they never busted us.

Very nerve racking raising those blinds!

Not to be a pest...

Awesome set-up! How deep are those poles in the ground?

but I hope those feet are in the ground. My sense from looking at the picture is that they may not be? If the feet are not in the ground it looks like you could be in for spill when the wind picks up. (I am assuming that a farmer would not want a permanent structure in the middle of a field and going by the pictorial evidence.)

It should be quite the deer killing spot though!

The poles are in the ground 4' and set with 3 bags of Quickcrete in each one.........it's not going anywhere unless it snaps the 4X6's. The field in which it sets in is being planted in CRP.

Not to be a wise-guy, but how does one approach and depart such a stand location more than once or twice without spooking deer like crazy. Are you planning on using the vehicle drop and pick-up strategy to clear the field ?? Reason I am asking is I got a buddy who has a 20+ acre top field with timber ravines all around it (about 60-70 acre farm in total). He puts corn/beans in about half of it and clover in the other half. Most of his current stands are around the edges. He has thought many times about an elevated blind smack in the middle for ML seasons but always is reluctant about the approach-departure issues of such a location.

great setup love it. is that crete on the poles near the ground or did you use something to seal the wood from rot. either way that is SWEET

Sounds great, looks like a killer setup!

The poles are in the ground 4' and set with 3 bags of Quickcrete in each one.........it's not going anywhere unless it snaps the 4X6's. The field in which it sets in is being planted in CRP.

Be sure to take some pictures when inside and post those too!

Dang that is a sweet setup up critter! Should make for some great film footage out of there too!:way:

Not to be a wise-guy, but how does one approach and depart such a stand location more than once or twice without spooking deer like crazy. Are you planning on using the vehicle drop and pick-up strategy to clear the field ?? Reason I am asking is I got a buddy who has a 20+ acre top field with timber ravines all around it (about 60-70 acre farm in total). He puts corn/beans in about half of it and clover in the other half. Most of his current stands are around the edges. He has thought many times about an elevated blind smack in the middle for ML seasons but always is reluctant about the approach-departure issues of such a location.

I don't have a real good answer for this one. The food source is to the North of the blind, so generally speaking during late ML the wind shouldn't be a problem getting in and out. I'm hoping that I can get enough tall growth from my Indian Grass and Switchgrass to help conceal me in and out somewhat, but I won't be able to hide from everything. Getting in won't be a problem as I'll make sure I'm settled in long before they're in the field, but getting out will be dicey. No doubt about it, I'll end up spooking some deer, but from it's present location I can cover a HUGE amount of area with the ML, not to mention cover a large area with my bino's and camera in the summer. :way:

The poles are in the ground 4' and set with 3 bags of Quickcrete in each one.........

so.... it should be safe for me to climb in???

hahahahaha
looks sweet, Jamie!

I have crawled in and out without being seen via my switchgrass so once it's established you can certainly take advantage of it.

I went in and out in broad daylight with all of this wildlife in an open field

Daybreak-1.jpg

So in time you can make it work. Maybe consider some Egyptian Wheat for a travel route in the meantime..;)

Top Bottom