Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Almost got one -- with velvet?

As the title reads, almost got a deer this morning on the way to work. Just after 7:00, could see it at the edge of the shoulder, then it darts out in front of me. My thought process thru it: Deer, stay back deer, OMG you stupid freakin' deer (that's when it darted), brake, rack, am I gonna hit it, get outta the way, stupid deer (just as I passed it's tail end), did that buck still have velvet on? Maybe it was just the way it looked at a glance, but seems like it could have still had velvet on...which is odd. And questioning it makes me think maybe it did. But, I won't guarantee it. Got me thinking tho, anyone ever see a buck with velvet on in November?

I spoke with a guy in Idaho last week, and he said they had mulies out there still in velvet. One of his friends had got one during season and was having it mounted, and the taxidermist said he had 4 or 5 others to mount with velvet.

P.S. no offense intended by calling these things we love to hunt so much stupid, and under different circumstances, I would have awed in his probably 2.5-3.5 beauty.

I have not seen a velvet buck in November. But I did smack a doe with my work truck a couple weeks ago. My first ever car-deer collision, took me 28 years living in Iowa, well, only 14 of that has been driving time. It was night time on gravel, she popped out of the ditch on a run and I smoked her with my front right quarter. Never did find her. Glad you missed the one you had an encounter with!

If their testes get damaged they may not shed their velvet happens occasionally a guy I know shot one in December still in full velvet

I was thinking I had also heard that if a doe grows antlers, sometimes it would keep the velvet on too. Wondering why so many out West were holding velvet so long tho.

Come to think of it, the guy in Idaho did mention he knew if they were missing some parts, they would have velvet. But he didn't say that about all of these recent ones. I wouldn't think it was that common, but maybe it is.

We still have one in velvet. Its not a doe but a 2.5 yr old 8 that must have mis judged a fence or something. It will be interesting to watch him this season and see how he acts or if he recovers

Low (or no) testosterone is the answer. Injuries or infection that damages the testes can result in a buck (stag) who doesn't rub velvet. Usually it dries normally but is not rubbed. In the west some cowboys have been known to castrate buck fawns if they find them in the spring, either for something to do or under the impression that they will taste better later on.

Top Bottom