Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Along time coming!!

dblmainbeam

Along time coming!!(story added)

773-susan_s_cam-10_236.jpg
Double lunged this big boy at ten yards on the ground on the day after my 13th wedding anniversary. I cant believe she still puts up with me! My best buck to date.Took my me 20 years to get a 160 inch buck!!
773-susan_s_cam-10_231.jpg

Well thanks for all the replies. I haven't had any time to tell my story on this buck. Two kids that love the computer and work just don't give me much time. So heres a quick version.

Well I have around 100 trail cam pics of this buck all at night except 3. Those 3 were taken on a friday right after season opener when I thought I should stay out of the stand until rut. Go figure , he showed up an hour before sundown.

I had my sights set on this deer but didn't really think it would happen with the small area I hunt and very limited time this year.
One week after seeing him on my trailcam during daylight hours I had him and another which possibly may have been bigger went by me at about 60 yards. On Oct 30 I decided to rattle, about 10 minutes later I saw him he was going right on by at about 100 yards. I grunted he stopped and came right towards me. He stopped at about 40 yards looking all over for the buck that had grunted. Turned and walked away. I grunted, he came back to the same spot looked and walked off. Three times he did this!!! No shots possible bercause of the tall grass and brush. I think if I would have used a decoy that day I may have gotten a shot at him.
The next time I saw him was Nov. 8th my wedding aniversary. I was in my matrix that I had set up the day before. I had just been busted by a couple of does and was down thinking I must stink!!. Obviously I did because ten minutes later I heard a blow only to lokk out the window and see a doe with him looking at me. Just like that they were gone. About an hour later I see him heading my way again. He makes it with in 30 - 40 yards and stops, stomps, blows and runs off like he just saw a ghost.( I don't know what I hit to change my letters, I have messed around with every key).

So I go home and wash all my clothes, spray everything down hoping to not smell. That night and the next morning I only saw one rooster and one spike, but the spike came from down wind and never looked at me once.

That afternoon I hit the blind about 4:15. It has 65 degrees and 30 mph winds. I was cussing myself for even being out there. At 4:30 I look out and saw him all alone heading the wrong direction. I couldn't believe it!!. It made no sense. I walked fifty yards from that spot only a few minutes earlier. He had to have been bedded down and didnt hear me walking through the extremely loud dry grass. I rattled but I don't think he heard me. He stopped to rake his antlers through some brush for a bit and then turned in my direction. About two minutes later he was standing stopped looking around. I thought for sure he smelled me again. Then he started walking again. When he was broadside at ten yards I let the arrow go. It sounded good but I couldn't see the shot through the shoot through netting. I watched him he ran a short distance. His tail was wagging like a dog only faster(I have never seen that before) I talked my self into thinking I made a bad shot. I'm sure I saw him fall but backed out and waited an hour and a half.

When We went to look for him I couldnt find one drop of blood. I freaked and and decided to go to the spot I last seen him. There he laid. I was hoot'n and hollar'n for five minutes. Double lunged and stiff as a board.

So as for the serious face that could be I was shot from the rollercoaster ride I was just on. We took lots of pictures all in the dark before and after and if it would have been so warm I would have taken some the next day. Most of the pictures didint turn out like I had hoped. No full body shots. I should have looked at the cam. I'm still waiting to see some from another camera I hope to have some more pictures to share.

Thanks for all the comments!! He could make alot of pens:)

Last edited:
That's an awesome buck! Congrats!
I say the same thing about my wife too!

How long are those g 2's if I might ask?

Top Bottom